Chapter 10

16th September 1989

Sav and I decided to have a gathering at mine and Jenny's apartment, to celebrate a new part of our lives.

Everyone showed up their best dressed, I can't believe this is actually happening.

The 'engagement' party is in full swing, with friends, family and the band members celebrating our love. The room is filled with laughter, music and happiness.

I move gracefully through the people, chatting and laughing. I glance over at Sav who is talking to some friends nearby. My heart swells with love and excitement, grateful for the wonderful relationship that we share.

"Congratulations, Jocelyn! I'm so happy for you and Sav" Lisa says as she approaches me with a big smile.

"Thank you, Lisa. I can't believe we're getting married!" I say enthusiastically.

((*JENNY*))

Their engagement party is in full swing, with guests celebrating the love between Jocelyn and Sav. I am mingling with other guests, my eyes occasionally darting towards Sav, who seems to be in high spirits.

Then suddenly, he was gone. I look around the room to see where he could be and I see him getting pulled into another room by the bands manager, Adam.

*I can't shake this feeling. Something's going on* I think to myself.

I walk up to this room and listen in. Ok, look I know eavesdropping is bad but this is my best friend we're talking about. If something's going on she deserves to know.

As I get closer I overhear snippets of a conversation between Sav and Adam,

"I can't believe you fell for her, Sav. This was never apart of the plan" Adam whisper shouted at Sav.

"I can't control my feelings, Adam. Jocelyn is incredible, and I can't pretend like I don't care about her" Sav replies.

"Well, that's just great. I paid you to date her for a publicity stunt, and now you're going to mess everything up" Adam snorted,

"You didn't pay me to date her. You paid me to pretend to date her, I never expected to actually fall in love with her" Sav said angrily.

"Love? That's not what this is about. We needed to boost your image, but now you're tangled up in some emotional mess" Adam whispered dismissively.

"You don't understand, Adam. Jocelyn is the one. I don't care about the image or the publicity. I care about her" Sav whispers back in frustration.

"Think about the band, Sav. Think about our success. You can't let this girl get in the way of that" Adam says manipulatively.

"I won't sacrifice my happiness for the band's success. Jocelyn means everything to me, and I won't let you ruin what we have" Sav replies.

"You're making a mistake, Rick" Adam said sounding like he was gritting his teeth.

What the actual fuck. I have to tell Jocelyn.

I walk over to Jocelyn, grabbing her hand and pulling her over to the side. That friend of hers Lisa, or whatever her name is, follows us.

"Jenny, what's wrong?" She asks me as I stand in front of her.

"I've just overheard something, I think you deserve to know" I say hoping that she'll hear me out.

"What is it?" She asks looking worried and confused.

"Sav was talking with adam, and he mentioned something about... being paid to date you" I say feeling my heart drop for Joss.

Her face falls, her heart must be sinking at the revelation. She looks between me and Lisa, who looks like she'd just seen a ghost, in disbelief.

"Are you sure?" she asks,

"I'm so sorry Joss" I say with sincerity,

"H...how could he do that to me? Did you know about this?" She questioned looking towards Lisa with tears in her eyes.

"Jocelyn... You weren't supposed to fi.." Lisa said with an uneasy look on her face.

"How could you keep that from me? I thought we were friends, Lisa" Jocelyn said before walking off towards the door to our apartment.

"Jocelyn" I call after her following her out of the room.

((*SAV FLASHBACK*))

July 29th 1989

The band members, plus me and our manager Adam, gather to discuss the future of our band.

"Listen up, all of you. We've got a problem. Rick, you need to clean up your image" Adam said looking shrewd.

"What do you mean, Adam? My image is fine" I ask confused.

"No, it's not. We need to make you more marketable, more appealing to the fans and the media" Adam said dismissively.

"What are you suggesting, Adam?" Joe asks raising an eyebrow,

"We need to create a public relationship for Sav, Something that will capture people's attention" Adam said with a grin.

"You mean like a fake relationship?" I ask skeptically,

"Exactly, We'll set you up with someone, and the media will eat it up. It will make you more desirable, and the fans will love it" He nods.

"I don't know, Adam. I'm not comfortable with pretending to date someone" I say reluctantly.

"Come on Sav. It's just for the publicity, it won't be a big deal" Adam said trying to persuade me,

"Who would we even find for something like this?" Phil interjected,

"I have someone in mind. Her name is Jocelyn, you met her a couple nights ago backstage" Adam slimed shyly, I remember her. She was a lovely girl.

"And she's ok with this?" I ask confused.

"Oh, she won't know. Plus she's a journalist, currently writing an article about you guys for Metal Edge magazine. You give her all the love she wants and she will write amazing things about you guys!" Adam said grinning.

"And how exactly are we going to get her with Sav?" Rick asked,

"Well, I've already thought about this. Her Intern, Lisa is in on it. I gave her two backstage passes, she was easy to persuade. You are going to have an interview with Jocelyn, she'll ask you some questions then you ask her some, make it seem like you're interested in her. Lisa is going to get her backstage again with you guys which is where Sav will ask her out, then from there we're smooth sailing" Adam explains his masterplan.

"This feels a bit manipulative, doesn't it?" Steve asks looking unsure.

"It's just a business strategy, guys. Everyone does it in the industry. Its harmless" He said with open arms.

"I'm not sure about this" I say still hesitantly.

"How about I give you 200 quid or should I say dollars.... a month" He bargains,

"So you're gonna pay me to pretend to date someone" I state,

"Yeah, Sav, trust me. This will elevate your status, and the band will benefit from it too. It's a win-win" Adam said leaning in,

"You better not make me regret this" I say giving into him.