Chapter 5

26th August 1989

Several weeks have passed since the unforgettable interview, and once again I find myself at a buzzing music venue. Def Leppard is in town for another concert, and I am covering the event for my magazine.

As I navigate through the crowd, I spot Lisa, who is also attending the concert.

"Emily! Over here!" Lisa shouts waving in my direction.

"Hey, Lisa! This concert is going to be amazing" I say walking over to her.

"I can't wait! And guess what? I managed to get backstage passes!" She exclaims waving the passes in front of my face.

"Seriously? That's incredible! How did you do that?" I say surprised.

"Well, it's partly thanks to you. After the interview, I kept in touch with the bands manager, and he recognized my enthusiasm. He offered me this opportunity as a thank you for helping with the interview" she explains excitedly.

"That's amazing! I'm so happy for you. Let's enjoy this concert, backstage and all!" I say as excited as ever.

We cheerfully make our way to the backstage area, where the excitement is palpable. The band is preparing to go on stage, and I spot Rick Savage amidst the pre-show preparations.

"There he is! Rick Savage!" I say spying him out in the crowd.

"Go talk to him! I know you want to" she says like she's my hype woman or something.

"No, I can't" I say holding back.

"Jocelyn, it's not like you're strangers" she says hyping me up.

"You're right. I'm going to do it!" I exclaim,

With newfound courage, I approach Sav, who looks up and warmly recognizes me.

"Jocelyn! It's great to see you here" He says with a warm smile.

"Sav, I just wanted to say that the interview we had meant a lot to me. It was such a wonderful experience, and I feel like we made a real connection" I say, I can't lie I kinda froze and that's all that would come out.

"I feel the same way, Jocelyn. It was a special interview for all of us" he says warmly.

"I'm looking forward to seeing you perform tonight. I know it's going to be an incredible show" I say,

"Thank you. It means a lot to hear that from you" he says with a smile.

As the conversation unfolds, Sav and I share genuine smiles, feeling the bond we formed during the interview strengthen even more.

"Oh, and by the way, you guys better rock the stage tonight!" I say teasingly.

"You got it! We won't disappoint" he laughs.

As Def Leppard takes the stage, Lisa and I find ourselves amidst the exhilarating crowd, fully immersing ourselves in the music and the electric energy of the performance.

After an electrifying concert, the backstage area is abuzz with energy as fans and crew members celebrate the incredible performance. Lisa and I find ourselves amidst the excitement, eagerly awaiting a chance to speak with the band members again.

"That show was absolutely mind-blowing! Def Leppard knows how to rock a crowd!" Lisa said excitedly as we wait backstage.

"I couldn't agree more! They never disappoint. And being backstage makes it even more unforgettable" I say looking around backstage.

Suddenly, Sav approaches us with a big smile, his eyes lighting up as he sees us.

"Jocelyn! Lisa! You made it! I'm so glad you could join us tonight" he said excitedly.

"The concert was beyond amazing, Sav. You guys truly know how to put on a show" I smile back at him.

"Thank you so much for the backstage passes. This is a dream come true for both of us" Lisa says with a smile.

"It's our pleasure to have you here. The passion and enthusiasm you both share for the music mean a lot to us" he says still smiling.

"Jocelyn, I was wondering... after the interview, I couldn't stop thinking about talking to you again. Would you be open to meeting up sometime, maybe for a casual chat or something?" Sav asked me out of the blue.

Lisa smiles encouragingly, but her smile seemed like she knew something that I don't.

"I'd love that, Sav" I say trying to stay professional.

"That's fantastic! How about lunch, I've seen a small coffee shop not to far from here" he says sounding excited and relieved.

"I think I know where you're talking about. Looking forward to it" I say smiling.

Aaaaaaaaaah, Rick Savage just asked me out. WTF.

As Sav exchanges a friendly handshake with Lisa, the drummer, Rick Allen, joins the group, his infectious energy radiating off of him.

"Hey, Jocelyn, Lisa! Great to see you both here" he waves with a smile.

"Rick, the concert was phenomenal. You guys never fail to amaze" Lisa says excitedly.

"We're so glad you enjoyed it. You're both welcome anytime!" He said, he also had a look in his eyes like he knew something that I didn't.

As the conversation continues, Joe Elliott and Phil Collen join the group, and they all share stories and laughter.

"It's people like you that make what we do so worthwhile" Joe says,

"We appreciate your support more than you know" Phil carries on with the conversation.

"You guys have been a huge part of our lives. Your music has touched us in ways you can't imagine" Lisa says happily.

"Def Leppard will always have a special place in our hearts" I continue, holding a hand over my heart.

"And you both have a special place in ours too" Sav replied looking into my eyes. I could feel my cheeks getting warm as he flattered me.

As the night continues, we relish in the unforgettable conversations. With joy and laughter.

But I just can't shake the feeling like they know something that I don't. What would they be keeping from me? And why would Lisa be in on it?