010. jealousy, all consuming

Start from the beginning

She stared up at Elena with hooded eyes, glancing down at the small gun she held in her hand. "Why?" Margot whispered as passed out.

"Grab her legs," Damon told Elena as he grabbed the heretic's arms. The pair dragged her into the basement before shoving her into an empty cell, one filled with vervain.

The older Salvatore sighed, he didn't want to do this but it was necessary. She was too close to Klaus. She was a liability just like Rebekah who lay daggered in the cell beside her.

Elena glanced down at her fallen friend. "How long until she wakes up?"

"We have until morning... That will give us enough time to kill Klaus without her getting in the way."

"... Does Stefan know?"

"No," he answered as he grabbed the human's shoulders. "He can't find out about this, Elena. He would let her out immediately and then Klaus will continue to taunt us, to taunt you."

"But Margot-"

"Margot will be fine. Besides, she's used to being locked up in basements."

— — —

All Margot could feel when she woke up was the harsh feeling of knives puncturing her lungs with every breath she took. She coughed harshly as her eyes met the vervain garden the Salvatore's kept in their dungeon basement.

The heretics' eyes widened in fear as she looked around hastily. She had never been alone in this part of the manor, Stefan had made sure that she had never once even stepped foot in the area.

She sat up slowly, taking in the dark walls that surrounded her as she took in a heavy breath. That breath led to a fit of coughs. Margot gasped painfully for air between coughs as tears threatened to fall from her sunken brown eyes.

Margot hadn't felt like this since she was human. It was like an asthma attack all over again, except this time, she didn't have her inhaler or her Dad to help her through it. She was all alone.

She quickly stood up, ignoring the way her vision turned black for a moment and the way her head spun before she ran over to the door and tugged harshly on the steel handle only for nothing to happen. A choked breath escaped her lips as she stared out the small barred window to meet his eyes.

"Damon."

"Hey, kid," he answered with a guilty smile as he stared at her through the bars.

"What-" she coughed, "What is this? Am I dreaming again?"

He stared at his shoes, "You woke up earlier than we thought you would. Guess we didn't put enough vervain in you, huh?"

"Vervain?" she looked at him confused. "Why am I in the basement, Damon? You- You know I hate places like this."

Damon stayed silent as he passed her an old inhaler that had been in her bedroom. "Not sure if those things work on vampires but, uh... You might need it. Try not to freak out too much... not sure how much air's down here."

"No..." she whimpered as she stared at him, shaking her head as tears slipped from her eyes.

"Sorry, Maggie. I really am, but we gotta take down Klaus and we can't do it if you're with him."

"So, what's your plan, huh? Are you going to keep me locked in the basement for the rest of my life? Samuel already tried that and it didn't work out. Come on, Damon. Just let me out– please?" she asked, her voice breaking at the end.

Damon moved to walk away but before he could, she reached through the bars and gently grasped his shoulder. "Damon? Damon, please don't leave me in here!"