Chapter 58: A Start in Kakariko

Start from the beginning

She looked up to see not one, but three Sheikah heading her way. One of them was a large burly man with shaggy sideburns that led to a mustache, while the other two were small girls, who had to excitedly jog next to him to keep up with his strides. Placing her hands together in front of her, she gave the man a slight bow.

"Good morning," she said. "Dorian, was it? I'm sorry if that's incorrect, it's been quite some time."

"That's it. I'm surprised you remember, given we've only met a few times in the brief visits you've visited before," Dorian said, coming to a stop before her. "I'm sure you'd have an easier time remembering my daughters—"

"Princess Zelda!" the two girls cheered, with each choosing to wrap themselves around one of her legs. "Where's Link? Where's Link?"

"Koko! Cottla!" Dorian cried. "Release her! That's no way to treat someone of such status!"

"It's fine, really," Zelda giggled.

These two she remembered clearly. In fact, she could remember the first time she met the girls, and that was when she first arrived in Kakariko Village after sealing the Calamity. It was when they asked if she was an old lady, one just as old as her century-old knight. At this, Zelda smiled, remembering the event as if it were yesterday, riding on Epona's saddle between Link's lap as they trotted into the mountainous village. It was one she couldn't help but adore; their period of happiness having been reunited after so long.

"Princess, stop ignoring, Koko!" the older sister said, snapping Zelda from her brief memory. "Where's Link?"

"Koko! Mind your manners!"

"I'm... here without him this time, unfortunately," Zelda answered, looking down at the girls. "I'm sorry."

"Awww..." the girls whined, to which Dorian sighed.

"I'm sorry about these two, Princess. If you don't mind..."

Bending down, he took the girls into each of his arms, pulling them from Zelda's thighs before straightening up. Clearing his throat, he continued.

"If you don't mind my asking, where is Master Link?" he asked. "It's quite surprising to see he isn't with you."

"He's off... doing a trial, one being given to him by the Master Sword itself," Zelda explained. "We decided best to go our separate ways for the time being."

"I see..." Dorian said thoughtfully. Suddenly, he placed his daughters back down on the ground. "Koko, Cottla, why don't you two head off for now? I'm sure the princess is busy, and I'll soon be as well with work."

With giggling nods, the girls hurried off, with each going in different directions. Once they were out of earshot, the Sheikah turned back to Zelda.

"Has Master Link... informed you about the... Yiga?" Dorian asked quietly. Zelda's brow furrowed slightly before remembering the last trip she and Link took together: it was Dorian who informed Link of the Yiga's presence.

"He's been dealt with, at least for now," Zelda answered.

"And how is Master Link?" Dorian asked. "He seemed different last time he came, as if the trials he took before were straining him. Is he alright?"

"He's better... and getting better," Zelda said. "But, if he arrives here in Kakariko sometime without me, I'd appreciate it if you would check on him just in case. To be completely honest, the Yiga—and a... few others— did a number on his mental state. He's a lot better, but... just in case."

"Just in case, hm? I sure will, Princess," Dorian answered. "Master Link is a dear friend of mine. I'd make sure he was alright even without the request."