Chapter 58: A Start in Kakariko

Start from the beginning

"Y—y—yes, I understand that, Grandmother," Paya stammered out, "but, it's also because you're the elder that I should stay here. You don't have the time, nor should you have to do any of my tasks—"

"—and if I need to have one of those tasks done, I'll simply ask another to handle it," Impa said. "You're not the only one that helps me get things done. I have Dorian and Cado; especially Cado. You know that man is always looking for ways to keep busy after Rola left him, that is, when he isn't preoccupied with Cuccos. I'm sure he'd even leave the village with me if I requested it of him."

"You... You... You leave the village?" Paya repeated. "Now isn't the time for jokes, Grandmother!"

Impa sighed.

"My dear, Paya. I don't wish for you to confine yourself in this small town," she said sternly. "There is an entire kingdom out there for you to see and learn from, more than I could ever tell or teach you."

"Yes, you can! I... I don't need to—"

She paused, supposedly stopped by something. Before Zelda could wonder what it could have been, Impa's voice called out to her.

"You can come down, Princess."

Zelda slightly jolted at the call of her title. Quickly recovering, she finished her trek down the staircase to find the little elder looking at her with a kind smile from her pillows, along with her granddaughter, who was now giving her a shaky bow.

"Goo... Goo... Good morning, Princess," she said. "I... I... I'm sorry I didn't notice you. We... We were just... Um..."

"How did you sleep, dear?" Impa asked, saving Paya from the beginnings of her fumbled explanation.

"W-well, I suppose," Zelda answered. "Is everything alright?"

"Everything is well. My granddaughter and I were just discussing the arrangements we made yesterday," Impa said, to which Paya nervously looked down at her feet. "Is your friend up as well?"

"No, she's still fast asleep. She seems to be having the best sleep of her life at the moment," Zelda said. "I'd honestly say I'm quite envious of her."

"If that's the case, why don't you get some fresh air?" Impa requested. "It seems Paya and I still have some things to sort out. Do well not to get into any trouble, alright?"

"I'm not... always in trouble," Zelda mumbled, causing Impa to chuckle.

"I'm sure your friend will be awake in due time, so return soon," Impa said.

With a nod, Zelda strolled toward the entrance of the large home. Pulling one of the doors open, she stepped out into the cold morning air, though right before the door could click to a close, she heard both Impa and Paya's voices begin to discuss again. Concerned, Zelda looked back at the now-closed doors behind her, unable to help wondering if bringing Paya along was really a good idea. Would she slow them down? It wasn't a thought she liked thinking about, but if the young Sheikah— who was usually so soft spoken— was that unwilling to go, was it worth bringing her along?

Thoughtfully, the princess moved away from the door and looked out at the village hidden in the mountains. Taking the morning air into her lungs, she listened to the falling waters that fell behind the elder's raised home in front of the mountain walls. She looked out at the small straw-roofed houses, watching as the morning sunlight pierced through the gray winter clouds above. After a few moments, deciding best to stretch her legs and rid herself of the stresses of her lonely dreams, she headed down the large staircase, wanting to feel grass beneath her boots.

"Well, look who we have here," a rough voice called out to her the moment she stepped off the final step. "Princess Zelda. What an honor it is to see you again."