Chapter 39

I'm sorry if this isn't great quality, but I was really anxious to get it out to everyone, because I feel bad for making y'all wait. To those who are bookshelving this story to read/reread when it's done, mark your calendars because I reckon it's coming up in the next month or two.

It took Neteyam a minute to find his brother, but the singular figure standing at the edge of their marui village. He walked over slowly, so Lo'ak wouldn't hear him and leave before he could talk. Coming up behind his brother, he said quietly

"Lo'ak..."

Lo'ak immediately seized and stood completely still.

"I don't want to talk to you." Lo'ak's voice was very low, a little shaky. Neteyam sighed.

"I know. Lo'ak, I'm..." Neteyam didn't even know how to say how sorry he was. "I feel awful. I had no idea she would react like that, I promise! I really just wanted to help-"

"But you didn't, did you?" Lo'ak turned around now. Neteyam stuttered, and Lo'ak stared into his eyes, his own tearing up. "You pushed me into talking about it, when i said it wouldn't go well," Lo'ak seethed.

Suddenly, Neteyam was annoyed. No, he was furious. How on earth was Tsireya's reaction his fault? A voice that seemed to be in league with Ao'nung was suddenly very loud in his head.

"Well far be it for me to want what's best for you," Neteyam shot back. "My mistake."

Lo'ak looked surprised for a second by the response.

"Is this what's best for me?" Lo'ak asked, crossing his arms.

"Is it any worse than the amount of stress you were under before?" Neteyam pointed out.

Lo'ak pointed at him furiously. "I knew what would happen if I mentioned it, so why the fuck did you make me?"

Now Neteyam had had enough. "Make you? I didn't make you do anything. All I did was offer support and suggestions of what I thought was best. Next time, don't listen, but if you're going to ask for my help, I don't want to be blamed when I couldn't predict the reaction of a different person you know better than I do!" Neteyam yelled, turning away now.

"Where the hell are you going? You came over to me!" Lo'ak yelled at him.

"I wasn't aware when you lost your girlfriend she took custody of your braincells too," Neteyam said over his shoulder and stalked off, fighting back tears. Ao'nung was right, Lo'ak was not in a talking state. Still not completely sure he didn't blame himself, Neteyam kept walking. He also didn't know where he was going.

Lo'ak POV

That night, tensions were high in the Sully marui as they settled down for the night. Neteyam and Lo'ak were both pointedly not looking at the other, while also trying to catch each other's eyes. Once the last lights were extinguished and Tuk's babbling had quietened down, replace by her steady breathing and their father's snoring. The waves were interrupted further by the sound of quiet sniffing in the opposite corner of the marui, across from Lo'ak. He prepared to turn over, full ready to ignore it. However, the sound of a stifled sob prevented him from doing so. Instead, Lo'ak lay on his back staring at the woven ceiling, deep in thought. 

While Lo'ak really did try his best to not let what Neteyam said break his resolve to blame his brother, he couldn't stop himself from reading into the words. 

Is it any  worse than the amount of stress you were under before?

To be honest, not that Lo'ak planned to be any time soon, especially with Neteyam, he was under less stress now. While he was incredibly hurt over Tsireya's reaction, Lo'ak had to be honest; he was less worried if anything now.