Chapter 10

(ANOTHER LONG CHAPTER BUT I PROMISE IT'S WORTH IT I THINK. THIS IS ALSO THE SECOND CHAPTER TODAY BECAUSE SCHOOL IS BACK TMR AND I DONT KNOW HOW REGULARLY ILL BE UPLOADINGG)

For the rest of the day, Ao'nung focused on creating the piece of jewelry for Neteyam. While he worked, Ao'nung thought over the possibilities of the night, would Neteyam show up? Yes of course he would, Ao'nung mentally shook himself, reminding himself of the dinner that was already planned. Laying beads in a line, Ao'nung thought out the pattern. He remembered the colours he had seen in Neteyam's hair. Yellows that like gold and reds like drops of blood. Deciding he wanted to stand out against anything else Neteyam may wear, Ao'nung landed on a colour scheme. Arranging the beads on the mat in front of him, Ao'nung began stringing them together. 

For the majority of the afternoon, Ao'nung worked determinedly on the anklet, intent on it being perfect. After untying it at least 5 times to rearrange the beads. His mother walked in twice, both times asking him what he was doing. He made up something about helping Tsireya with the jewelry she so often made, but he could tell she didn't buy it. Being the Tsahik, she was close with Eywa, more so than the other members of the community. Ao'nung feared this gave her a view into more than he wanted. His father also appeared once, but left too quickly for Ao'nung to offer any notion of an excuse. Sighing at the thought of what his father might think of what Ao'nung decided to dedicate his time to, he stared at his finished product. As much as he wanted to, Ao'nung did not have the time to pull it apart and begin again, dinner would be soon. Collecting it in his fist, Ao'nung left to the small circular platform where they would be eating. 

When he arrived, his father was visually annoyed with him. He wasn't late, but he was the last member of their group to arrive. Neteyam had left an open space on his left, leaving Ao'nung between him and Tsireya. When he sat down, Neteyam moved his arm low around Ao'nung's waist, pulling him closer. This brought Ao'nung's head down onto Neteyam's shoulder, and who sighed appreciatively. The dinner passed slowly, without much of notice. Ao'nung's father had a look of disapproval throughout, and Ao'nung couldn't help but feel guilty. Tsireya had greeted him with a wide smile, seeming glad to see him, but resolutely had her back to him for the rest of the night, talking to Kiri. This was not entirely a bad thing, but it made Ao'nung nervous. He felt his father's eyes on him, but tried to ignore it as Neteyam attempted to weasel answers out of him.

"Come onnnn, tell me! Where are we going?" He whined, playfully shaking Ao'nung's arm. Enjoying holding the surprise over his boyfriend's head, Ao'nung made a gesture as if to zip his lips, and throw something over his shoulder. Neteyam pouted, slouching in his seat. 

"Wouldn't be much of a surprise if I told you skxawng." Ao'nung told him, finding himself grinning at the whining look on Neteyam's face. Feigning hurt at the insult, Neteyam gave up his attempts to discover the plan Ao'nung had for their night. Continued jabs throughout the rest of the meal, Neteyam and Ao'nung had both finished eating, along with Tuk and Kiri. The four of them were excused, Ao'nung with a dramatic sigh from his father. Leaving the small boarded platform, Neteyam and Ao'nung tried not to look too rushed as they left, while Kiri and Tuk were returning to visit Keynari, Tuk having become enamored with her ilu. Grasping Neteyam's hand, Ao'nung led him around the village, towards a side of the island Neteyam had not seen often. Still following Ao'nung, Neteyam had to prevent himself from asking where he was being taken again, knowing he wouldn't get an answer. After a little more walking, the couple came upon a treeline. Nothing compared to the great forests of Neteyam's home, but it did offer some semblance of comfort to him. Climbing over large roots and rocks, Ao'nung continued to lead Neteyam deeper into the trees. There was a low hanging branch in front of them, its leaves hanging even lower. They created a curtain in front of the pair, until Ao'nung pulled them to the side, a strange glow emanating from what looked like a small pong.