Chapter 4

(i think i got there)

Later on in the day, the Sully kids had met back up together, along with the three Metkayina teenagers as well. They had been doing various activities in the water, Tsireya encouraging everyone with their breathing, resulting in much longer dives and underwater exploration. Kiri had been learning the sign language from Rotxo, and was also teaching what she learned to her siblings. Neteyam was picking it up the fastest, putting time into learning the 'finger talk' instead of pondering over Ao'nung's puzzling behaviour. He could now pick up words from Ao'nung and Tsireya's underwater chats, seeing words like 'nervous', 'confused', 'like', 'why', and 'him'. While it wasn't much, it was a start. Maybe Ao'nung would be more tolerant of him if Neteyam could speak underwater, especially now that he could hold his breath long enough to make it necessary. Obviously he was no where near the skill of the other boy, who's strong shoulders and broad chest hinted at, nothing to do with breathing really, but something Neteyam caught himself staring at. 

Over the next few days, the Olo'etkyan invited them for dinner and various meals, him and Neteyam's father seeming to bond, and the Tsahik; Ronal, was now on civil terms with Neytiri. In these same days, Ao'nung was constantly fluctuating between joking with Neteyam and sitting next to him, turning away with a dark look on his face when Neteyam must have pushed it too far, and avoiding him completely. As friendly as Neteyam tried to be, Ao'nung must not desire the same thing. Regardless of the negative attitude from the other boy, Neteyam continued to observe him while they were diving, or when he spotted him over the walkway doing menial things like untangling nets, sorting out broken and chipped weapons, or feeding the animals Neteyam now knew to be ilu. During these mostly subconscious observations, Neteyam found that Ao'nung could smile, and did so a lot. He would laugh to himself when the ilu jumped out of the water and spun in circles during a feeding, or when a child ran over and grabbed a splintered spear shaft and begun imitating an old hobbling figure with a cane. The careless expression only ever lasted a few seconds, or in some cases, until he spotted Neteyam watching him. 

When the now familiar group of his siblings and newfound friends ventured into the reef once more, they had the prospect of learning to ride ilu to get them up early. Neteyam made sure to inform both his father and mom the night before of their plans and assured them of the supervision from Tsireya and Ao'nung. Having gained a bit more trust and freedom after being around the village for a while, they did not mind. Running out to meet everyone else who had already gathered around the ilu pen. Frowning slightly at the memory of when he had asked Ao'nung what the creatures in the pen were, and the storming off after. Arriving next to Lo'ak and Ao'nung, he accidentally bumped the latter's arm, causing him to jerk back and fix a perturbed look on Neteyam, but not before Neteyam had heard a small gasp escape from the taller boys lips. He definitely didn't miss the small blush on the still dark expression on Ao'nung's face, just before he turned to listen to what Tsireya was telling them.

"Learning to ride is better done one-on-one, so I will take Lo'ak, and Ao'nung can go with Neteyam." Neteyam noticed the slight tension that became apparent in the large arms of the boy on his left, while Lo'ak on his right drew in a very quick breath. Neteyam didn't think his breathing would fair well in this lesson. Continuing, Tsireya looked to Kiri and the still yawning Tuk. "I am sorry, but Rotxo's parents needed him this morning too look after his younger siblings, he won't be here to teach you." She truly seemed sorry, looking as if she expected anger from the two Sully girls "If you like, I can show you later, when Lo'ak gets the hang of it." 

"If  Lo'ak gets the hang of it you mean, his thick head doesn't catch on too quick." Kiri laughed, and Tuk giggled into her sisters shoulder. "Don't worry, I found a rainbow flowerbed yesterday, and I was going to braid some into Tuk's hair. Take your time here, they're gonna need it." She reassured Tsireya, who looked pleased, and led Tuk into the water to look for their rainbow flowers.