Chapter 38

It had been two days since Lo'ak had spoken to Neteyam, and it didn't seem like it was stopping anytime soon. Ao'nung was doing his best do keep Neteyam positive, but it was starting to lose its effect. 

"I just need to talk to him," Neteyam told Ao'nung insistently. Ao'nung shrugged. "He's had days to 'calm down', and if he was going to say something he would have." Neteyam was anxiously pacing around the grotto while Ao'nung was sat up against the wall covered in grass, throwing a beanbag up and down. 

"I just have to apologise," Neteyam said to himself more than anyone.

"For what?"  Ao'nung asked, slightly annoyed. He was very clear on the fact he didn't think Neteyam owed an apology. Neteyam waved him off. Deciding in that moment he would make Lo'ak listen to him, no matter what Ao'nung thought he should do, Neteyam quickly walked out past the leaf curtain. Ao'nung didn't bother calling out after him. He let Neteyam walk away for a moment, and then decided to find Tsireya. 

Their marui was empty, so Ao'nung wandered around for about half an hour to try and find her. Eventually, he saw her stringing something together in the shade of a marui around the outside of the village. She didn't seem to be crying, but her movements were slow and dejected. He walked over slowly, feeling like he was approaching a wild animal and trying not to scare it.

"Reya? Hey, it's me," Ao'nung called to her from a couple meters away. Her head lifted slowly and she looked at her brother. Her hands fell and she dropped the strands and beads she was working with and Ao'nung quickly stepped forward and grabbed her before she could slump against the wall of the marui behind her. "You're okay, you're okay, it's just me. Can you tell me what happened?" He lowered her gently and sat next to her.

"I- I don't- I'm not sure," she stuttered softly. 

"That's okay, don't force it, I can wait, but you also don't have to tell me," Ao'nung assured her.

"He, he lied-" Tsireya breathed, and Ao'nung decided to try and help her see Lo'ak's situation, for Neteyam's benifit. 

"Did he lie?" Tsireya looked at him surprised. 

"He, he told me he loved me! Then he tells me there's someone else? I can't believe-" she hiccupped and didn't continue.

"Reya- I think it's clear he does love you. Not that it's my business, but Neteyam has been talking to me about what Lo'ak has been going through and it sounds pretty shit. He can't control his feelings, and they got ripped from their home, not knowing if they were returning. This other... person, back in the forest, was just being honest with Lo'ak, and giving him a fair choice. Lo'ak definitely doesn't want to love two people, can you imagine how hard that is?" Ao'nung tried to give some perspective on the situation, though his sympathy wasn't really with Lo'ak, but Neteyam who was dealing with his brother's situation as if it was his own. 

"But he didn't tell me- he kept it a secret-" Tsireya was breathing very fast. Ao'nung sighed and put her hand on his chest. 

"Breathing slow, Reya. Come on. In and hold... out for five," Ao'nung filled his own lungs as he instructed her. She hiccupped a few more times, before managing to slow down her heaving lungs. Ao'nung heard her whispering the way of water has no beginning... That was her mantra since she learnt it; The Way of Water. Ao'nung never felt the connection she did to the message, but he supposed that was something to do with her Tsahik training. When her breathing had steadied, he asked her again 
"Now, what happened?" 

Tsireya looked up at him through tear-stricken eyes. 

"He told me that he hadn't been honest, that he needed to tell me something. I was immediately worried, but I didn't imagine that he was going to tell me this." She breathed shakily. "He likes someone else too?" Tsireya looked at him like she was begging him to contradict her, to tell her she was wrong, had heard him wrong. 

"I'm not saying he is right, okay? I don't think he should be dating you if he might still like this other... person," Ao'nung still wasn't sure if Lo'ak had told her it wasn't another girl, so he played it safe. "But I don't believe for a second that he meant to hurt you, or that he wants this."

"I don't care about that!" Tsireya exclaimed, flinching. "Ok, well, it hurts a bit sure. But I can't believe he didn't tell me! I trust him, does he not trust me?" Her eyes were still pleading. Ao'nung sighed.

"Look, I definitely am on your side here; Lo'ak was an idiot not to trust you with this, but we still have to try and empathise with him. Their whole family was ripped from their home by a force we know all too well. He might not even actually like this person, but their association with home. Does that make sense?" Ao'nung wasn't sure himself. Thankfully, Tsireya nodded. 

"I just want him to trust me, and I don't think I should settle for someone who doesn't..." she sighed again. 

"You're right; you shouldn't. I don't want to keep playing devil's advocate here, but this isn't a regular situation. I don't know, I just know Neteyam's upset and so are you, and that makes me feel awful." Ao'nung held a finger up to stop her from apologising. "It's neither of your fault's, if anything it's Lo'ak's, but that's not fair either. I'm trying to comfort both sides without getting involved, but for what it's worth, I think you should try and understand Lo'ak." Before Tsireya could look outraged for more than a second, Ao'nung held up a hand and continued.
"I don't mean get back with him, or even forgive him. Just make an effort to understand him. Also, if I'm dating his brother, family reunions might be a bit weird," he tried for a joke, which earned a huffed chuckle from Tsireya. 

"Thanks, 'Nung," Tsireya wrapped and arm around his shoulders from her position on his left. Ao'nung swatted her hair. 

"Don't call me that-" he began, but didn't bother actually protesting. He began to rise, remembering his other chores for the day, and Neteyam. Neteyam, who had walked off to apologise to his brother for nothing. Ao'nung sighed to himself, how do I stay out of this while making sure he's okay? Deciding to leave that worry for later, Ao'nung moved towards his father, who was standing on a platform overhanging the water, talking to some Elders. He would no doubt have a dozen jobs for Ao'nung to do.