Chapter 38: Retribution

Beginne am Anfang

"Blueprints for the standard Galran rifle and basic blasters on Galran fighters," Sincline replied. "Nowhere near as strong as an Ion cannon or the tertiary guns on a Battlecruiser, but they'll serve their purpose."

"I see... and what do you want in return?" Ironwood asked, raising an eyebrow. As much as he appreciated the gesture, he had a feeling that there was more to this offer... something that Sincline really wanted. Even so, with these new upgrades to our weapons, we can build new ships and create a defense for Remnant in case of attack, he thought. And, if we're lucky, use them to take out HER. He didn't dare voice the hope.

Sincline simply smirked, his eyes flashing. "Merely a seat at the table." It might have been paranoid, but Sincline wanted to be absolutely sure Jacque Schnee received justice... whether it be through the Ace Ops, or by his own blade. "Besides," Sincline added, seemingly as an afterthought. "I'd assume that you wish Jacque Schnee brought to justice as fast as possible... right?" He flicked his wrist, and a brilliant light filled the monitors.

Timeskip

"This. Is. Awesome!" Marrow cheered, hands up as Sincline's primary ship knifed through the clouds, the broken moon rising overhead as the wraith-like vessel streaked across the sky. "Yeah!"

Shaking her head, Harriet rolled her eyes with a fond smile. "Idiot." Still, she couldn't help but grin at the rush of adrenaline flowing through her veins at the insane speed of Sincline's vessel. It's official, she thought. This kid's got more tricks than Marrow has bones.

It had been roughly 13 minutes since they had departed, and they were already nearing the border of Atlas. Saphron had stayed behind to help Ironwood's technicians search for any subsystems or viruses Watts may have implemented during the Grimm assault while the Ace Ops joined Sincline on the mech-turned-human's primary ship... which might not have been the best idea.

"You sure you don't have any more seats though?" Clover quipped from where he and Marrow were standing behind Sincline and Harriet, holding onto whatever they could for dear life. I guess my semblance really doesn't work all the time... that sucks.

Sincline glanced back and shrugged apologetically. "Sorry." Then again... since my ship is part of me, then... can I change parts of it? It was possible... but he'd have to check it out later.

"What is it like?" Marrow asked curiously, deciding to change the subject. "You know, up in space?"

Sincline paused, recalling a similar question from Jaune. "It's... strange," he said finally. "You know how you feel weightless when you're falling? Think of it like that, but constant. And cold."

Marrow shivered. "I don't think I'd like space," he said, earning a laugh from Harriet.

"Guys... I've been thinking," Clover said hesitantly, causing Harriet to gasp dramatically, hand on her chest.

"Clover thinking? Should we call Ironwood and let him know that the apocalypse has started?" the female Ace Op asked dramatically, causing Clover to flash her a playful glare.

"Very funny. But..." Clover paused, hesitating. "Winter's practically the head of the Ace Ops. Shouldn't we let her know about this?"

Sincline shook his head. "I'm not letting that man near Weiss or her sister any more than necessary," he said firmly, recalling his promise to his white-haired teammate.

"Huh?" Clover and Marrow exchanged confused looks.

"Never mind." His fist clenched, and his eyes glowed, energy hissing from the edges. "All you need to know is that I made a promise. Nothing more, nothing less." Although, I guess I am leaning toward 'more'.... I hope that's a good thing.