xi. a promise to the dead

╰┈➤ ❝ [I'm adopted, dumbasses

╰┈➤ ❝ [I'm adopted, dumbasses.] ❞

"Lydia?" Asher mumbled when she felt the bed shift. She opened her eyes to see Lydia standing up beside the bed. She wasn't moving and she was quiet. "Is something wrong?"

The two were just spending time at Asher's house when the lioness fell asleep. She figured Lydia would probably go to sleep as well, but now she was confused.

Lydia still didn't say anything, she just started for the bedroom door. Asher stumbled off the bed. She barely had time to pull on a pair of shoes as Lydia walked out.

Asher followed Lydia all the way to Derek's loft. She stopped asking questions and just followed her girlfriend.

The banshee was in a sort of trance as they walked up to the door. Asher could hear the alarm buzzing inside and she knew Derek would be at the door any minute now. Someone else was in there, too, and Asher instantly placed the other scent to Braeden.

Lydia started pacing back in forth in front of the door, water dripping off of her and on to the ground. Asher stood back, hugging herself to get warm after the coldness of the rain.

Then the door got yanked open, Derek and Braeden pointing their guns. Their faces dropped to confusion when they saw Lydia right in front of them and Asher behind her.

The redhead looked up from the ground, met Derek's eyes and then wailed.

--------------------

"Lydia? Lydia!" Malia pestered as they, Asher, and Kira sat in Economic's class. "Did you hear me? Look!" She shows the redhead a test marked C- with a bright smile. "I passed."

"C-minus." Lydia nodded.

From behind her, nudged her foot under the chairs. A little signal to tell her to be nicer.

"Your notes are great when they're not written in code." Malia smiled.

Asher grinned. "Nice job, Malia."

The werecoyote turned to her and beamed. But then Coach had to ruin the fun by walking up and dropping a graded test on Malia's desk. She got an F.

"Disappointed, Malia. Profoundly disappointed." He shakes his head.

Malia groans silently and looks over at Lydia.

"I'll send you my notes." The redhead assured.

Malia gave her a tight lipped smile. Lydia got back to her notes, clearing her throat. She looked back up at the board and faltered.