▼ Brain Types (Core) ▼

Dr. Daniel Amen is a psychiatrist and brain imaging expert who has identified five primary brain types: balanced, spontaneous, persistent, sensitive, and cautious. He believes that these brain types can influence a person's personality, behavior, and how they respond to stress.

》The following five brain types are considered the 'core' or main types.

Balanced brain

Brain Type 1 is characterized by its symmetry. A person with Type 1 has symmetrical activity throughout their brain, and most of their activity occurs within the cerebellum.

The symmetrical activity makes Type 1 the optimum brain type. People with this type of brain are typically more focused, flexible, positive, and relaxed. In fact, people with a balanced brain are often happier than people with other brain types.

People with Brain Type 1 typically live longer than those with other brain types because they're usually more conscientious and avoid taking unnecessary or dangerous risks.

Although this brain type may be a "best-case scenario," people still need to work on their brains for long-term cognitive health.

They are typically calm, focused, and good at managing stress. They are also good at planning and organizing, and they tend to be successful in their careers.

Common Professions: People with the balanced brain type are not likely to be entrepreneurs or industry disruptors. They are more likely to make effective managers.

Things like showing up on time, following through on promises, and following the rules make you happy—the good thing is that balanced types will likely do this anyway and will generally already be happy!

Spontaneous brain

People with this brain type have less activity in their prefrontal cortexes. BrainMD describes the prefrontal cortex as a brake system of sorts — it keeps you from saying or doing something that you may regret later.

Those with Brain Type 2 typically have lower dopamine activity. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that has to do with focus and motivation. Because they have lower dopamine levels, individuals with Type 2 often seek dopamine through stimulating pursuits such as drinking, eating, or engaging in exciting activities.

They also typically require some form of stimulation to stay focused and may overuse stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine. They are often impulsive and creative, and they may have difficulty with organization and time management. They may also be more likely to take risks. They also love novel experiences and surprises.

Common professions: The spontaneous brain type is very common among entrepreneurs, entertainers, politicians, and realtors.

Trying new things that excite and stimulate this brain type will keep them happy, while routine, boredom, and doing things like waiting in line make them unhappy.

Persistent brain

Those with Brain Type 3 have an overactive anterior cingulate gyrus (ACG). The anterior cingulate gyrus affects one's ability to be mentally flexible. Those with an overstimulated ACG are persistent but are also often stubborn.

One of the main causes of ACG overstimulation is a lack of serotonin in the brain, and people with this brain type often have difficulty shifting their focus. They also worry often and typically have trouble sleeping.

People with persistent brains usually enjoy routines and dislike surprises. They're also tenacious when it comes to their habits and enjoy completing tasks on time.

Because the anterior cingulate gyrus is already overstimulated, those with Brain Type 3 should consider avoiding caffeine and diet pills. They are often driven and focused, and they may have difficulty relaxing. They may also be more likely to experience anxiety or perfectionism.

Common professions: The persistent brain type is common among chief operating officers, project managers, and web engineers.

Unlike the spontaneous brain type, persistent brains enjoy routine, familiarity, and a sense of being in charge. Being told "no," and having rules change does not make this type happy.

Sensitive brain

Those with this brain type have increased activity in the brain's limbic centers, which has to do with emotions. Because they're more emotional, people with Brain Type 4 struggle with negative moods, but they are also sensitive and empathetic.

People with Brain Type 4 are incredibly relationship-driven. They need human connections, so the state of their personal relationships often dictates their emotional health. Those with sensitive brains derive great joy from positive relationships, but they may struggle with pessimism and negative thoughts, especially when stressed.

They are often empathetic and compassionate, but they may also be more likely to experience anxiety, depression, or mood swings.

Common professions: The sensitive brain type is common among therapists, healthcare professionals, social workers, as well as creative types.

To invite happiness, Sensitive brain types can try listening to calming music, spending time in nature, engaging in deep conversations with loved ones, and practicing mindfulness.

Cautious brain

People with Brain Type 5 have increased activity in areas of the brain associated with anxiety, like the amygdala, insular cortex, and basal ganglia. The overstimulation of one or more of these brain areas frequently occurs due to a lack of sufficient GABA, a neurotransmitter that relaxes the brain.

Those with cautious brains usually avoid engaging in risky activities and are less inclined to behave spontaneously. Although there are certainly drawbacks to this brain type, people with Type 5 usually experience high levels of motivation when pursuing a goal, and they're often more prepared than those with less cautious brains.

Unfortunately, those with Brain Type 5 often struggle with anxiety and nervousness.

Common professions: The cautious brain type is common among accountants, researchers, and data analysts.

Things that make Cautious brain types feel safe and happy are finishing assignments on time or early and carefully writing out pros-and-cons lists before making important decisions.

It is important to note that these are just general descriptions, and not everyone will fit neatly into one category. Many people have a combination of brain types. Dr. Amen's work can help us to understand our own brains better and to make choices that will support our overall health and well-being

The the next chapter I will be discussing the 16, considerably less scientific, brain types.