▼ Bradykinesia ▼

》 Bradykinesia is defined by slow movement and an impaired ability to move the body swiftly on command. It's most commonly a symptom of Parkinson's disease or a side effect of medications.

》 The symptoms of bradykinesia include unusually slow movements. However, there are other symptoms that are common with the condition. These symptoms include:

shuffling when walking

dragging one or both feet when walking

having little or no facial expressions

freezing — muscle reactions may slow to the point that the muscles become immobile, or freeze, for a period of time

difficulty with tasks that are repetitive in
nature, like tapping fingers or clapping hands
difficulty getting ready each day (e.g.,
buttoning clothes, brushing teeth, styling hair)

》 Bradykinesia often occurs as a side effect of certain drugs (such as antipsychotics) or Parkinson's. However, the specific cause is not known.
One study suggests  that bradykinesia may be caused by basal ganglia output failure.

》 Bradykinesia can affect one limb, one side of your body, or your whole body, which can make you unnaturally still. The condition often varies from moment to moment. This can be frustrating, as good quality of movement can quickly be followed by poor quality.

》  The test used for bradykinesia is called the bradykinesia akinesia incoordination test, also known as the B.R.A.I.N. test.

》  During this test, you are asked to tap keys quickly on a keyboard with alternating fingers for one minute. Your scores on the test will determine your diagnosis. The scores include the number of correct keys hit, the number of wrong keys hit, the time it takes to hit the keys, and the time that lapses between hitting each key.

》  Parkinson's and its symptoms cannot be cured. However, the symptoms can be managed somewhat with medications. The most helpful medications for bradykinesia are those that increase dopamine levels

》  There is also a surgical procedure known as deep brain stimulation that may be used for certain people living with Parkinson's. This treatment involves surgically placing electrodes into specific locations in your brain. Once the electrodes are in place, you will have electrical impulses sent to stimulate the brain at the electrode sites.

》  These suggestions can help you to maintain your independence and mobility:

Continue your usual daily activities as long as you are able.

Avoid reducing your physical activities and maintain mobility as much as possible.
Do the daily exercises that have been recommended to keep your muscles strong and flexible

Adjust your daily routine to make it easier to continue on your own. For example, do things that require more effort at the time of day you feel most mobile. Build in rest periods during the day.

Make life easier by using helpful devices such as Velcro instead of buttons, elastic waistbands, height-adjusting beds and raised seat cushions, which make it easier to get out of a chair.

Remove or firmly secure loose rugs that may trip you, and rearrange furniture to make it easier to move around at home.

Maintain a positive attitude – this can be very helpful in overcoming all sorts of difficulties.