▼ ENTJ - The Commander ▼

ENTJ stands for Extraverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judging.

Other people often describe people with this type of personality as assertive, confident, and outspoken.

According to psychologist David Keirsey, the ENTJ type is quite rare, accounting for a mere 2% of the population.

ENTJ Characteristics

People with this personality type enjoy spending time with other people. They have strong verbal skills and interacting with others helps them feel energized.

ENTJ types prefer to think about the future rather than focus on the here-and-now. They usually find abstract and theoretical information more interesting than concrete details.

When making decisions, ENTJs place a greater emphasis on objective and logical information. Personal feelings and the emotions of others tend not to factor much into their choices.

ENTJs are planners. Making decisions and having a schedule or course of action planned out gives them a sense of predictability and control.

They are highly rational, good at spotting problems, and excel at taking charge. These tendencies make them natural leaders who are focused on efficiently solving problems.

ENTJs are not necessarily good with emotions, but that does not mean they are intentionally cruel. They are prone to hiding their own emotions and sentimentality, viewing it as a weakness that should not be made known to others.

Strengths

Strong leadership skills
Self-assured
Well-organized
Good at making decisions
Assertive and outspoken
Strong communication skills

Weaknesses

Impatient
Stubborn
Insensitive
Aggressive
Intolerant

ENTJs can be further categorized as:

ENTJ-T (the turbulent commander)—Seeks validation and attention; tends toward anger and jealousy; emotionally driven; more sensitive, sentimental, and affectionate than ENTJ-A

ENTJ-A (the assertive commander)—Confident; assumes others' acceptance; less emotionally reactive; handles stress and negativity well

Cognitive Functions

Dominant: Extraverted Thinking

This is an ENTJ preferred function and is expressed through the way they make decisions and judgments.

ENTJs tend to speak first without listening, making snap judgments before really taking in all the information about a situation.

While they tend to make snap judgments, they are also very rational and objective. They are focused on imposing order and standards on the world around them. Setting measurable goals is important.

Auxiliary: Introverted Intuition

People with this personality type are future-focused and always consider the possibilities when approaching a decision.

ENTJs are forward-thinking and are not afraid of change. They trust their instincts, although they tend to regret jumping to conclusions so quickly.

Tertiary: Extraverted Sensing

This cognitive function gives ENTJs an appetite for adventure. They enjoy novel experiences and may sometimes engage in thrill-seeking behaviors.

Because of their outward sensory focus, they also have an appreciation for beautiful things in life. They often enjoy surrounding themselves with things that they find attractive or interesting.

Inferior: Introverted Feeling

Introverted feeling is centered on internal feelings and values. Emotions can be difficult area for ENTJs, and they often lack an understanding of how this part of their personality contributes to their decision-making process.
When this aspect of personality is weak, ENTJs may find themselves feeling uncomfortable or awkward in settings where some type of emotional response is called for.

ENTJS You Might Know

Harrison Ford

Bill Gates

Jim Carrey

Dwayne Johnson

Waren Buffet

Steve Jobs

Princess Leia Organa (Star Wars)

Tom Riddle (Harry Potter)

Christian Grey (50 Shades)

Mike Wazowski (Monsters INC.)

Popular ENTJ Careers

Human resources manager

Company CEO or manager

Lawyer

Scientist

Software Developer

Business analyst

Entrepreneur

University professor