Season 01 - Chapter 02 (02)

********************

Time Jump~

Gregory Fletcher's POV~

The following morning, I woke up halfway through sunrise. The orange-yellow brilliance ignited the island coast's chilly sand and the sky's emptiness, providing everything in sight a stunning glimmer. Stirring animals and noisy insects were easily heard deep within the nearby rainforest.

Wilfred was sitting only a few feet away from where I had spent the night, around an undersized blaze with Geoffrey, Juanita, and Shania. "You should get a bit more sleep," he told me quietly.

I kept limp for a moment, shivering from the nippy temperature of the grains beneath me, then stretched my limbs with a tired moan, almost a cry. My body was still a wreck after yesterday's unforgettable event. After rubbing my eyes, I wobbled upright and let my eyes adjust to the light.

Austin, Isaac, Velma, Miley, Susie, Alayna, and Lianne slept elsewhere on the beach. They, like me, were covered in goosebumps due to lying on the uncomfortable sand all night. Susie was using her vest as a pillow, and the jewels of Austin's wristwatch shimmered in the early light.

"If you won't get more sleep, at least come eat," the heroic man with muttonchops encouraged.

My stomach was practically devoid of food, indicated by my belly growling like a feral big cat as I rose to my feet and wandered to the fire that crackled. Shania offered me two ripe oranges when I lowered between her and Juanita. The wriggling flame already warmed me from head to toe.

The lady in gray nodded ahead. "We found an orange tree farther up the coast, not too far into the jungle, and harvested what we could and brought them back. They're all we've got for now."

I showed my sincere appreciation, physically and verbally. "Thanks."

A miniature wave washed onto the shore, bringing a mass of seaweed. A couple of squawking birds searching for a meal swooped down from overhead and anchored a few yards away from the other awakened survivors and me. The scenery was gorgeous, and the vibe was peaceful.

The Hispanic woman queried in a respectfully soft voice. "What island are we on?"

The blond Australian answered. "Without a map, I don't know if any of us will know for sure; that's why we've got to be careful when we get near that jungle. God only knows what's in it."

Geoffrey scowled, gesturing aimlessly. "We can't stay on this beach forever, dude. This sand is too cold to sleep on, and there are only oranges for food. We're going to have to go in there."

"And I completely understand that point of view, but unfortunately, I don't know what we are doing today yet, all right? Perhaps it would be best if we were to have leaders to keep us—"

Shania scoffed dismissively. "Leaders? I don't want any damn leaders. All they'd achieve is telling me what to do when I've got myself to worry about. I'll gladly make my own decisions."

"I am talking about leaders, Shania, not dictators, and leaders think about everybody. All we would need is maybe three well-intentioned people to step up so we can be safe and healthy."

Juanita passively spoke again. "Listen, at the end of the day, all our survival comes first, so we need to be ready to do whatever we need to, right? Whether somebody commands us or not."

The noises of serene nature replenished the equatorial air. A couple of the other surrounding islanders occasionally shuffled in place, asleep on the gritty sand or cognizant on a worn-down log. At one point, I noticed the Australian pilot, Frank, was nowhere to be seen on the seashore.