Chapter Eight

I couldn't bring myself to make conversation at breakfast, considering how the night before ended up.

Misty wasn't exactly forthcoming with an apology. She pretty much made no effort to talk to me. Instead, she'd throw a side glance my way every so often. I'd made a point to sit at the dining table and have some fruit and a coffee.

"So, are you about ready?" Jaxon asked, standing. I'd noticed he hadn't had breakfast. Instead, he had polished off two coffees in the time it took me to finish one.

I nodded, pushing my plate away. "What do you wanna do first?" I asked, smiling as he pulled my chair out for me.

"Dress shopping? Bath and Body Works? Today is all about you." He pressed a gentle kiss to my temple. It seemed genuine, not just for show.

I was surprised to find he was eager to go shopping. What guy enjoys going shopping?

Oh, I could do with a new candle. Well, since he was offering, I wasn't about to refuse being pampered. But I would refuse him to buy me things. I had my own money, and I intended on using it.

"I'm thinking bikini shopping, a few new candles from Bath and Body Works, then the beach?" I tossed out, unsure if I was pushing his patience. Shopping for designer clothes wasn't my idea of fun. I hated shopping. Preferred online shopping to rail-wracking, but if I knew what I was going for, it made it more pleasurable.

"I'm ready if you're ready." I gestured for him to lead the way.

"Not even got her feet under the table, and she's already spending your money." his mother piped up.

Jaxon stilled. I gave his wrist a gentle squeeze.

"Misty, you clearly have a problem with me dating your son. So, why don't you just come out and tell us? Instead of throwing out little immature remarks."

She rested back in her chair and folded her arms. Her eyes met mine disparagingly. "Okay. Since we're putting it out there. I don't like you. Clearly, you and my son are from two different backgrounds."

"Sometimes, opposites attract." I replied.

She shook her head in disgust. "My son could have any girl he wants, and he picks you? I don't believe that for a moment."

What is so wrong with me? My confidence was shattering into tiny smithereens. Jaxon linked his fingers with mine. "Why can't you just be happy for me, for once?" he demanded to know.

She pursed her lips. "Are you truly happy, though?"

"Yes." He argued. "I'll be even more happy once we're back home and Everleigh doesn't need to listen to you." He said tightly.

"Home?" she asked, paying him more attention.

"I have my plane waiting and ready for our departure this afternoon. I won't subject Everleigh to your behavior any longer. We're going shopping, then we're flying back to New York later today. I'm sorry that I'm such a disappointment to you."

"But I have organized another night with the girls. They'll be expecting you to be there."

Unbelievable. She was still trying to set him up.

"You expect me to stand here and allow you to talk to Everleigh like she doesn't even exist?"

I squirmed. This was all so unnecessary. We weren't dating. Yet, he was arguing as though he truly adored me.

This was wrong. It felt wrong, arguing over me when I was only a fake girlfriend. It wasn't supposed to blow up like this.

"Look at her." She gestured to me.