Chapter 4

I gasped out shaky breaths as I woke up from my dream, my hand pressed against my pounding chest as I tried to figure out where I was

I gasped out shaky breaths as I woke up from my dream, my hand pressed against my pounding chest as I tried to figure out where I was. My blurred vision and ringing ears barely registered my surroundings, my mind clouded in a fog with the memory of my mother's smile from my sleep.

My eyes cleared slightly and I looked down to see my bed messed up, my sheets damp from my sweat which shocked me since I never sweat in my sleep. Seconds later my alarm rang and I hastily moved to switch it off, and my eyes closed once again for a minute so I could reign my emotions back in me.

I didn't usually dream of my mother and if I did it was always about the last moment we had spent together which would lead to me crying, yet oddly enough no tears were in my eyes right now. I had no reason to cry when I felt her love, her light, and her soul through my dream. We were knitting and making clothing together on a warm spring day, a memory that still circles my mind.

It was a shared hobby of ours, just her and I, so doing that alone just makes my chest ache with sadness and a reminder that she was gone, and that I would never share those moments would anyone else.

I shook my head kicked my legs out of the bed and stood from my bed in silence, glancing at the time and rushing in my motions. It was the third day of university and I didn't want to be late at all since Zira would be at my door at exactly eight a.m., a trait that I both loved and hated from my friend. My routine was quick and soon enough I was wrapping my curly hair that I had tied into an up-do bun.

My outfit was simple and stylish today, a long blue wrap-skirt and white neck halter top. I smiled at my reflection feeling pretty and confident for once. I didn't usually didn't show my body that much or some skin because of the way I would be teased for my shape and size. I was less big than my younger self but that type of teasing, commentary, and bullying from family and other children stays with you.

I frowned slightly and looked in my wardrobe for a large wool sweater to take in my bag just in case, I sat down at my cluttered vanity to start my make-up, it wasn't a lot to do, just some liner and gloss with mascara. My hands were steady as I lined my two-toned lips with a brown and black liner, filling it in and applying some gloss; I wore my bracelets and moved my crystals away from the window, lighting some incense and wearing my shoes.

Soon enough I was finished and I wore my shoes and anklet, my bag packed as I picked it up while rushing out of my room pausing at my mother's open door and shutting it. There was no time to eat as I reached the bottom of the stairs, my phone chiming.

Zira :)

I'm here A.

"I'm coming!" I said to them as I drew a rune on my front door to protect my home from any unwanted guests, the intricate symbol shone in a bright red before disappearing. I smiled and turned to skip down my porch steps and walked to them.

"Hi Zira," I greeted softly and looked down at my hands when they silently handed me a wrapped meal, I looked at them in confusion and held the food gently.