22: F-14

Alarms blared as people were running everywhere. Dark gray smoke rose into the air from the cratered enemy runway. Fires littered both runways. Maverick, Maneater, Marilyn, and the twins watched from the mountains, hidden behind a few piles of snow. The three female aviators kept their helmets on. It would be easier to blend in that way.

"You’re not serious," Rooster and Vulture stated quietly, glaring at Maverick.

The alarms continued to blare. Maverick simply handed Rooster his binocular, letting him see for himself what the plan was.

"You’ve got to be shitting me," Rooster handed it to his sister, "An F-14?"

"I shot down three MiGs in one of those," Maverick commented.

"We don’t even know if that bag of ass can fly," Rooster stated. Maverick raised his brows, considering what Rooster said.

"He's right, Dad. We don't know if any of those even work anymore," Maneater winced. Her adrenaline was starting to wear away.

"Let’s find out," Maverick began to climb out of the tree line, getting closer to the destroyed runway.

"Mav!" Rooster whispered after him, "Okay."

Slowly, the four began following after; leaving the tree line in groups of two. Rebecca was trying to help her sister in any way she could without hurting her. Rooster kept his eyes out, watching the enemies. Alarms continued to blare, enemy pilots and workers were shouting at each other. So far none of them had noticed the group of five walking towards their F-14's.

"There’s guys up there, Mav," Rooster nodded his head towards some of the enemy pilots.

"Yeah."

"There’s more over there," Rooster alerted.

"Okay," Maverick glanced, seeing people running, "Let’s start running."

Maverick started running to the hangars, Hennessey and Rebecca close on his heels.

"Yeah, run. Run," Rooster and Vulture started running after them.

The group of five ran into a hangar. Maverick was the only one who had ever flown an F-14 Tomcat, so all four needed some instruction.

"Once… once I give you the signal for air, you’re gonna flip this switch until the needle gets to one twenty," Maverick pointed at a gauge needle, "When the engine starts, you got to pull out the pins and disconnect everything. You understand?"

Hennessey, Rebecca, and Brandie nodded. That was the main thing the three girls needed to know. The rest would be a guessing game. A fast guessing game. Maverick and Bradley had taken the middle hangar so Hennessey took the hangar to the left. While Rebecca and Brandie took the one to the right.

"Yeah," Rooster replied, beginning to pull tags from the plane.

"Mom’s going to kill me when I get back," Hennessey murmured to herself, holding her side. She looked at her hand, it felt warm compared to the crisp air. Her once dark green glove was now half stained with crimson blood.

"Fuck it," Hennessey didn't have time to worry about her side, she had to get her F-14 ready to go, now.

Henne ran around the plane, pulling tags as she let her generator power up. On the other side of Maverick's hangar, Rebecca and Brandie did the same thing, Brandie watching the gauge needle on her generator.

"Yes!" Maverick cheered as his generator powered up.

"Once I’m up, stow the ladder," Maverick threw on his helmet and started climbing into the cockpit. Maverick slid into the front seat of the cockpit, looking at everything.