3: Pilots

"What do we have here? If it ain’t Phoenix and Icarus!" An aviator called out as four other aviators walked in.

Maverick, Hennessey, and Penny looked towards the door. Natasha "Phoenix" Trace, Reuben "Payback" Flitch, Evelynn “Icarus” Kazansky, and Mickey "Fanboy" Garcia all stood by the door. Hennessey smiled, her friends from the academy and a few missions were also here. A handful of other people enter and begin to occupy tables and bring life into the bar.

"Well I’ll be damned,” Hennessey said loudly, she caught their attention as she walked towards the four aviators.

They met in the middle and gave a bear-crushing hug to each other. Lieutenant Seresin, the one who had announced the three others’ arrival, looked at the other aviator. He hadn’t seen her earlier, but then again, he was busy playing darts with Lieutenant Machado. The group split apart from their hug and headed to the pool table. Maverick watched them like a hawk.

"Here I thought we were special, Coyote. Turns out the invite went to anyone... Keepin' it tight, I see, Phoenix. Icarus," A blond pilot remarked.

"Fellas, this here’s Bagman," Phoenix smiled, clearly annoyed but patient.

"Hangman," The blond, cocky pilot corrected.

"Whatever," Evelynn and Natasha commented at the same time.

"You're looking at the only Naval Aviator on active duty with a confirmed air-to-air kill," Phoenix announced, looking back at her group of friends.

“Stop,” Hangman replied, trying to act humble.

"Mind you, the other guy was in a museum piece from the Korean War."

"Cold war," The pilot behind Hangman corrected.

"Different wars, same century," Reuben and Hennessey mumbled.

"Not this one," Mickey muttered.

"Thanks for nothing," Hangman said, looking at the man behind him.

"Who're your friends?" The pilot asked, ignoring Hangman.

"Payback,” Reuben replied.

“Fanboy.”

“Icarus,” Evelynn greeted.

“Maneater,” Hennessey stated, taking a swig of her drink, and sizing up the two pilots. The one behind Hangman didn't seem too bad. He was easier to get along with, especially compared to his cocky friend.

“Hey Coyote,” Phoenix greeted, significantly less annoyed at the other pilot.

“Hey,” The pilot behind Hangman, Coyote, responded awkwardly.

“Who’s he?” Phoenix asked.

"Who's who?"

Hennessey and Phoenix nodded to their right, towards the wall. There sat a guy with glasses, just in a corner. He wore the same tan uniform as the rest of them, signaling that he was also some sort of naval pilot.

"When did you come in?" Coyote asked.

"I've been here the whole time," The quiet man responded, wiping crumbs off of his tan uniform pants.

Hennessey nodded slowly. Everyone shared a quick look.

"The man's a stealth pilot," Hangman commented.

“Literally,” Coyote agreed.

Evelynn and Hennessey nodded in agreement.

"Weapons Systems Officer, actually," The man in glasses corrected.