2: Hard Deck

"Captain Pete 'Maverick' Mitchell. Your reputation precedes you,"

"Thank you, sir," Maverick said.

"Wasn't a compliment," The person responded.

"I'm Admiral Beau Simpson. I'm the air boss," One of the people said, "I believe you know Admiral Bates."

"Warlock, sir. Must admit, I wasn't expecting an invitation back," Maverick spoke, standing in front of the admirals.

"They're called orders, Maverick," Admiral Bates replied in a clear tone, "You two here have something in common. Cyclone, here was first in his class back in '88."

"Actually, sir. I finished second. Just want to manage expectations," Maverick corrected, smiling awkwardly.

The room filled with awkward silence before Cyclone nodded to Warlock. He took a remote, and a moment later images filled the monitor on the wall. Images of a valley filled with industrial buildings appeared.

"The target is an unsanctioned uranium enrichment plant, constructed in violation of a unilateral NATO treaty. The uranium produced there represents a direct threat to our allies in the region. The Pentagon has tasked us with assembling a strike team and taking it out before it becomes fully operational," Warlock explained as Mav got closer to the screen, studying it.

"The plant sits in a recess at the end of this valley. Said valley is GPS jammed and defended by an extensive radar array, serving a limited number of fifth generation fighters, which, in turn, are backed up by a plentiful reserve of surplus aircraft; F-16's and even a few F-14's," Warlock continued.

"Seems like we're not the only ones holding onto old relics," Cyclone remarked, Maverick forcing himself to ignore the comment.

"What's your read, Captain?" Warlock questioned.

"Normally, this would be a cake-walk for the F-35's stealth. But the GPS jamming negates that. The surface-to-air threat necessitates a low level, laser-guided strike, tailor made for the F-18. I figure two precise bombs, minimum. Makes it four planes, flying in pairs," Maverick explained, studying the area's topography, "That's one helluva steep climb out, exposing you to all the surface-to-air missiles. Survive that, it's a dogfight all the way home."

"All requirements for which you have real-world experience," Warlock said.

"Not in the same mission, sir," Maverick stated, before realizing, "Somebody's not coming back from this."

"Can it be done or not?" Cyclone asked, getting frustrated with Maverick.

"How soon until the plant becomes operational?" Maverick asked, trying to get a sense of if it could or not.

"Three weeks. Maybe less..." Warlock replied.

"Well, it's been a while since I've flown an F-18... And I'm not sure who I'd trust to fly the other three," Maverick commented, assuming that was what was being asked of him.

"I think you misunderstand, Captain," Warlock started.

"Sir?" Maverick questioned.

"We don't want you to fly it, we want you to teach it," Cyclone explained.

"Teach, sir?" Maverick finally asked, after letting the words hang for a moment.

Warlock hit a button on the remote. Sixteen naval I.D. photos appeared on the screen. Maverick's eyes landed on five faces in particular. The stoic faces of Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw and his twin sister Brandie "Vulture" Bradshaw. Next to them was Evelynn "Icarus" Kazansky, Hennessey "Maneater" Benjamin, and Rebecca "Marilyn" Blackwood. Not only had Iceman chosen Goose's twins, but he also chose Charlie's daughter, Penny's eldest daughter, and his own daughter.