Lunch and the Lake

“Käraste..”

“No, Mountain,” Lilit sighs lightly, reaching up to brush away some stray strands of hair that were tickling her nose. “I’m done sitting around being useless. You all have done so much and me? I’ve been here, lying about sleeping. I could be doing more. I should be doing more!”

"Lilit.." Mountain sighs and looks around the hall before he steps in front of her, taking gentle hold of her arms to stop her walking. "I understand how you feel. I really do. But… you know why. Why we haven't included you. Why you need to sleep so much."

The short blonde tilted her head back to cast her eyes up at him, a frown set deep on her lips and her fingers twitch wanting to move and brush against her slight bump that showed proof of the life growing within her womb, but they were in a public hallway where anyone could see. Mountain, the tall earth ghoul, watches her hazy eyes start to shimmer with building tears and when her lower lip begins to tremble he lets out a soft sigh.

“I’m sorry, Lilit.” Mountain pulls her into him, holding her gently as he smooths a hand over her hair. “I know how hard all of this is for you, not just with… but with what's going on with your sister. You’re worried about her. We all are.”

She sniffles lightly and slides her arms around his middle, resting her forehead against his chest. “She’s always done so much for me. I just want to do something for her now. Be there for her when she was always there for me.”

“You are. Käraste, you are. Just being there for her, giving your undying love and support. That’s enough for now.”

“Is it?”

“It is.” He leans down and places a kiss to the top of her head. “Now, why don’t we go meet the others for lunch, hmm? I can hear your stomach growling from up here.”

Lilit gives a soft laugh, shaking her head as she stays leaned against him, blushing as her stomach does indeed let out a sound of protest. “I am quite hungry… Must be the trade off. Less sleep but need more food now. I’m gonna get so fat...”

Mountain laughs softly, the motion jostling her and she tilts her head up again, giving him a smile before sticking her tongue out. His eyes flash and he leans down, pulling her tongue into his mouth as he kisses her deeply. She gasps at the suddenness of it before a soft sound of excitement escapes her throat and she melts into it.

“I love you, Lilit,” he purrs in a whisper when he pulls back after her stomach grumbles again.

“I love you too, Mounty. Let's go get some food. Hopefully it’s not the boys cooking.”

Mountain laughs louder, taking her hand as they continue their path down the halls, the ghoul helping the little blind witch when they have to descend several flights of stairs and when they make a final turn he reaches up to pull off his mask and balaclava. Up ahead they could hear several voices overlapping in quiet chatter interrupted by a high pitched squeal of delight that made Lilit giggle.

“Eleanor sounds like she’s having fun. Want to wager with who?”

“Oh, Swiss. No doubt.”

“I’m thinkin Ace.”

The pair step into the communal living area and they’re greeted by loud laughter mixed with soft insults and the sound of running feet. A small mop of wild hair goes streaking past the two with a shrill happy shriek and Mountain barely catches a flash of blue from the corner of his eye before he turns and braces, acting as a barrier between Lilit and Ace who was chasing after the child. He’s not even shifted by the impact and Ace goes sprawling on their back with a pained groan.