xxv.

PENELOPE HAD BEEN SITTING in the living room with a smile on her face as Legally Blonde played on the TV. "I remember when you wanted to be blonde because of this movie." Angie chuckled as she watched Reese Witherspoons character, Elle Woods, walk down the halls of Harvard. "Really would look like a wag." She joked while nudging her arm against Penelope who gave a fake laugh.

"We're leaving!" Jack shouted as he walked into the living room to see the girls and the moms sitting around the couch. "No way, you guys watching Legally Blonde without me? Fake." He gasped dramatically as he walked up behind the couch, grabbing popcorn from Carter's bowl causing her to smack his hand.

"Forgot you love this movie." Ellen laughed slightly at her son before she stood up, walking over towards him. "I need to talk to you and your brothers before you guys leave." She stated as she began to guide him away from the living room, glancing back to Mia who gave her a small nod.

Penelope's eyebrows furrowed at the small exchange but she didn't question it. "I'm gonna go get another drink, do you guys want anything?" She questioned as she pushed the blanket she shared with Kota off her lap and stood up.

"Dr. Pepper?" Carter questioned, a small smile on her face as she pushed her brown hair behind her back.

"Only for my favorite Dr. Pepper lover." Penelope chuckled as she circled around the couch, ruffling Carter's hair in the process causing her nose to scrunch while she watched the movie.

Penelope walked into the kitchen, eyebrows furrowing as she saw Cole standing there with a cup of water in his hand. "I thought you guys were leaving?" She asked while making her way towards the refrigerator, opening it and grabbing a soda and a water for herself.

"Ellen asked me to grab her a glass of water, she seems shaken up about something." He said while his eyebrows furrowed, shaking his head.

"Do you know what?" She questioned while she shut the refrigerator with a small hip bump. Whenever Cole shook his head, she sighed. "The parents have been acting weird but no one will tell me anything." She informed while setting the drinks on the island before walking towards the pantry.

"Probably a surprise for your birthday." Cole chuckled, emitting a hum from the girl as she shrugged. There was a good possibility that that was the cause. "Let me get this out to Ellen, I'm pretty sure we're leaving soon." He stated as she turned around with cookies in hand.

"Have fun!" She exclaimed as he began to walk out of the kitchen, saluting to the girl before making his way outside. She grabbed the drinks from the island before making her way back into the living room, eyebrows furrowing as her mother was not there. "Where's my mom?" She asked as she began to circle back around the couch, handing Carter her drink before sitting down.

"She got a call." Julia shrugged while sipping at her Mountain Dew, eyes trained on the movie.

Penelope's face contorted, her nose scrunching up as she sat down in her spot. "Do you know who from?" She asked, earning a shake of the head from the girl. "Weird." She muttered while opening her water and taking a small sip.

Ellen began to make her way into the living room, brushing her hair behind her back. "You okay, Mrs. Hughes?" Angie asked, noticing the woman's tear stained face and hair that was now pulled up into a ponytail.

"Yeah. I'm alright, girls." Ellen said with a reassuring smile on her face. "Where'd Mia go?" She asked while looking towards the girls.

"She went outside, she got a call." Cassandra informed with a smile on her face.

Ellen's eyes widened but she tried her best to not make it noticeable. "Damnit." She muttered, shocking Penelope slightly. It was rare for Ellen Hughes to curse, so it had taken her by surprise.