28 - First Date (Kieran)

Start from the beginning

Naomi frowned as she glanced at the selection. "That money would be wasted on me. My wine pallet is like 'This tastes like wine' or 'This tastes less like wine'. And don't judge me, but I prefer the latter."

He chuckled and set down the menu. "A caesar then?"

"That'd be fantastic."

"How was your week?"

"Long waiting for today. I missed you at Rusty's training."

She sure knew how to make a guy feel simultaneously guilty and desired. "It seemed weird showing up since we're dating or going on a date. I didn't want to make it awkward for you."

"I did that all on my own." Naomi laughed. "I wanted to be open with Brinny to avoid her thinking I was hiding this or that it was a conflict of interest. She had a lot of questions. It was strange."

"I am so sorry."

"Allo people are illogically fixated on physical attraction. She could not comprehend why we work together, even when it's crystal clear to me."

Naomi's admission made him smile, although that excitement was mildly offset by what Brinny had shared last week. "Brin's been through some nasty relationships where men were demeaning about her physical appearance and weight."

"Sorry to hear that."

"She has this idea that changing herself into someone she considers attractive, like you, would mean men treated her like royalty or something."

"Looking like this has its downsides too. Men get grabby and used to assume if I dressed up, I wanted to hook up. I get more attention than I'm comfortable with, especially being ace. There's no winning."

"If I ever make you feel that way, you'll tell me, right?"

"Of course. It rarely bothers me if it's a look or a comment from someone who cares about me. It's one way I assume you're attracted to me, and that's part of the relationship. As long as it's not something you expect me to act on, it's okay."

That tracked with Austin's explanation. "Definitely not. You are the captain, and I'm along for the ride."

"Except for date planning because this place is cool, and I didn't know there were open-air movies that played in the cathedral ruins."

He had her to thank for that and her wistful stare at those ruins all lit up after he'd dropped her off at her car. She'd leaned into his shoulder and played with their entwined hands with her free one, tracing his knuckles with her soft fingertips. The moment had danced in his memory, and he'd wanted to capture that excitement again.

From the looks of her leaning toward him and brushing her sandal against his leg, he had.

"Of course, I will plan them if they make you happy."

"It's you more than the place, although it is a sweet bonus."

This woman was giving his heart a workout.

Their server stepped up to the table to introduce himself in both languages, his French accent peeking through. "Can I start you off with drinks?"

"Une verre de Morgon, Antoine Sunier, s'il vous plaît." Kieran chose a French red since he rarely went out for dinner, and today was worth celebrating.

"Et pour vous?" The server turned to Naomi.

She looked from Kieran to the server with wide eyes.

"Un cocktail César pour elle, si vous l'avez."

"Certainement, monsieur."

Naomi leaned back in the metal patio chairs and studied him. "Aren't you full of surprises? How many other languages do you secretly speak?"