Chapter 8: Ticking Away

Seven hours had passed since they spotted the Titans. During that time, the western team was advancing rapidly. Among their members were a soldier, Nanaba, Ymir, and Krista.

Soldier: "We're close to the wall. In this area, it seems that no one is living."

Nanaba examined her surroundings.

Nanaba: "I understand. We've arrived earlier than expected..."

Nanaba took a moment before continuing, perhaps reflecting on various matters, maybe thinking about her comrade Mike's situation.

Soldier: "Let's continue to the south."

Ymir spoke, showing some curiosity and confusion.

Ymir: "Why? There are no people in the south."

Nanaba: "We need to locate the hole in the wall. We'll search for it by following the wall to the west."

Ymir: "Krista and I are not equipped for combat. The south is probably full of Titans, and we could be useless in case of a confrontation, or even become a snack for them. Let us withdraw from the front line."

Krista was surprised by her companion's proposal.

Krista: "Ymir..."

Nanaba: "Negative. We need someone as a messenger. I understand your point of view, but as soldiers, you must be prepared for everything."

Ymir muttered something under her breath and fell silent. They continued to advance to the south.

The western team continued to move forward.

Krista: "Ymir, I want to do everything I can here."

Ymir looked at the blonde, and she continued speaking.

Krista: "I chose to join the Scout Regiment of my own free will. But you... You didn't. You chose to join because of me..."

Ymir let out a sarcastic laugh.

Ymir: "Are you suggesting I did it for you?"

Krista: "Then why are you here if it wasn't for me? You always insisted I join the Military Police. You even let me take the top spot in the rankings."

Ymir frowned at that observation.

Krista: "My skills aren't among the top ten in our class. Anyone would say you're better than me. I don't know how you managed it... Why do you do so much for me?"

Ymir continued to look ahead as they rode on. Krista lowered her gaze and continued.

Krista: "Is it because of... my family?"

Ymir responded without looking away.

Ymir: "Yes."

Krista looked at her, slightly surprised

Ymir: "But don't worry, Krista... I'm here for my own sake."