82- move on (no)

"Mark?"Axel eventually said, after he had gotten over his shock.

Mark just nodded.

"Why did you come here?"Axel said bluntly.

It was hard to remain cool, and nonchalant like he did with Nelly and Nathan. It was hard to pretend like he hated Mark over the phone. But it was a million times harder in person, seeing Mark on front of him, silent and small.

This was so much harder in person. That was why he left. Because he knew he wasn't strong enough to handle seeing Mark this way.

"You came all this way,"said Axel quietly. "Is there nothing you want to say?"

Mark inhaled sharply. "I don't care about what those Kirkwood boys say. I don't. You don't need to worry about me being hurt while I'm with you, Axel."

"I don't want you to be hurt because of me,"Axel whispered, almost without sound.

Mark stepped closer. "Do you not think you're hurting me by what you're doing now?"

Axel stared at the floor.

"This is embarrassing as fuck, but my parents literally have me on suicide watch in case I do something reckless,"Mark sniffed. "I know that it upsets you. I only get upset seeing you upset, Axel."

"You need to move on,"Axel said slowly.

"Why? Why should I? I finally find somebody that I want, and that I'm happy with. And I'm just expected to do without him?"Mark said angrily, tears welling up in his eyes even though he promised himself that he wouldn't cry.

Axel said nothing. Mark opened his arms and looked at the silver haired boy.

"Can I?"

Axel paused before nodding. Mark wrapped his arms around Axel, and the taller boy rested his head on the top of Mark's head.

"I meant what I said on the phone. I love you,"Mark said. "I just wanted you to know that."

Axel stiffened, but didn't let go of Mark. Eventually Mark left his embrace, wiped his eyes, and grabbed his bag.

"Please come back for the final. You don't even need to talk to me. Just for the team. They know that we're going to lose without you,"Mark said before exiting the living room.

Mark's uncle was standing at the door. Mark bowed to him and said,"Thank you for your time,"before walking out of the door.

He hadn't persuaded him. He hadn't planned to. His romantic fantasies in his head led him to believe that he would run into Axel's arms, and that Axel would come back with him. But the real world was more complicated than those sweet fantasies.

So Mark just walked slowly down the street toward Nelly's driver's black car.

"Wait!"he heard a voice yell.

He whipped around, and there was Axel. Mark's eyes widened. Axel cupped Mark's face.

"I'm sorry,"he whispered. "I'm so sorry."

Mark swallowed. "Sorry doesn't really mean anything if you're not planning to come back."

"I only left because I couldn't handle seeing you like this, Mark. Please, move on."

"You know I can't. I love you!"Mark yelled. "I fucking love you, Axel Blaze."

Axel couldn't help but smile, and stroke Mark's brown hair. The other boy stiffened, but didn't make any attempt to stop Axel.

"Nathan's right. Your hair is soft."

"What?"

"Oh,"Axel said. "Nothing. You weren't supposed to know that."

"Come back,"Mark whispered, his forehead now touching Axel's. "Please. You being gone will hurt me more than any stupid person's insult. Because I don't care about them. I care about you. You and you alone."

"I can't."

"Why not? Because a silly little boy dictates who you can and can't love?"

Axel sighed. "It's not that simple."

"It really is, though. When I first realised I was gay, I was really young. 8 or 9, maybe? People told me I wasn't because I'm stereotypically masculine. The only reason it's different now, is because people have known that I'm gay for so long that most people don't know any different,"said Mark. "It's the 21st century."

"Please. Move on from me."

"You know that I won't."

"You're very stubborn,"Axel laughed quietly. "I suppose that's why we're together in the first place."

Mark's heart rate quickened as Axel leaned down and began to kiss him. It was very different from his awkward, unenthusiastic kiss with Nathan from the night before.

Mark grabbed the back of Axel's hair with one hand, and had the other around his neck. Axel's hand settled around the small of Mark's back, with the other on Mark's face. They kissed as if their lives depended on it, and Axel only pulled away to say one thing.

"I'm so pissed that you got to say I love you first. Why do you get all the big milestones?"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I love you too, Mark. I love you so much. And that's why I left."

"But I love you! And I want you to stay! I want to go to our spot late at night and stargaze! I want to go to the ramen shop together. I want to meet your sister when she wakes up from her coma. And most of all, I want to see you score the winning kick in the final,"Mark said passionately.

Axel rolled his eyes and laughed. "You are my captain first and foremost, aren't you?"

"Yes. I am,"Mark smiled, looking into Axel's eyes. "And as a captain, I urge you to come home and train with us."

Axel looked conflicted until he eventually turned away from Mark. He began to walk back to the house, and Mark could feel his heart shatter more with every step that Axel walked back to number 3.

"Axel?"Mark said quietly.

Axel turned around and walked back to Mark, taking his hand. Mark looked surprised.

"My dad is going to fucking kill me,"Axel sighed.