Chapter 4: A Horse With No Name

Start from the beginning

Erwin: "Long-range Scouting Formation!"

From the center of the formation, where Y/N moved horizontally accompanied by Krista and a veteran soldier, they began to open up along the formation, positioning themselves on the front right.

The formation consisted of a circle facing forward, where everyone moved in a uniform flow, visible to their other comrades, extending the lines of communication and the exploration range as much as possible, leaving only one line to be surrounded for defending the formation.

Krista was a bit nervous due to the challenging task of staying in the open spaces of the formation. She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. As she turned to her right, she saw Y/N completely carefree, chatting with the third companion, an unnamed soldier.

Krista: Are you serious?

Krista momentarily remembered a flash from the past, seeing a younger Y/N fighting against some people with her on top.

Krista: In that moment... Why did you keep fighting? Could it be that it was important enough to protect...?

Krista took one of her swords before approaching Y/N from a couple of meters away.

Krista: "I think I can do it my way," she whispered with a smile.

Y/N heard this without fully understanding, but feeling satisfied for some reason.

(------).

After a couple of Titans, the Pivot Team remained close to the reconnaissance team on the right, who were lagging behind them on the plain.

The sector they zigzagged through was titan-free, with a calm wind indicating tranquility. The soldiers at the back anxiously watched the group move further in a circular motion, signifying that they were starting to lose coverage.

As Y/N led the advance, the wind blew his hair against his face.

Unnamed Soldier: "We'll flank the formation to reach the front with Erwin and organize the ranks. Don't you want to check another sector of the formation?"

Y/N: "Don't worry, I have to take Krista with Nanaba's regrouping squad, so I'll arrive on time for once."

Krista: "What...? Am I changing squads?"

Y/N: "I have to move around with other squads across the formation, which tires the horses due to the distance. That's why I have to switch squads to maintain mobility."

Krista: "Oh, I see, I understand..."

Y/N felt the wind hitting his face again but sensed something unsettling for a moment.

Y/N: "Stop. Halt the horses."

Soldier: "Huh?"

Krista: "U-Um, here?"

After stopping the horse, Y/N tied Laywin to Krista's steed and approached the other soldier.

Y/N: "Take her ahead, keep going without me."

Krista: "What?!"

Soldier: "Are you testing me? I mean, won't you kill and beat me later if I actually leave you stranded here without a horse?"

Y/N: "Who do you take me for? Levi and his tricks of leaving everything flawless?"

Soldier: "That's a fair point... let's go."

Before they set off, Krista hesitated, looking at Y/N.

Krista: "B-But, do you know that this place is a plain...? The maneuvering gear can't be used here, Y/N..."