Chapter Twelve - Eachann and Allister's

Scotland, during the warm season, was by far one of the best places on Earth to be. With her first breath of pure Scottish air, Maggie felt worlds better, and finally decided that she had made the right choice to fly out. Upon her insistence, Bruce had fronted the extra cost to have Jessie fly out in just under a week's time, and Maggie couldn't wait to be reunited with her dear friend.

The staff at the estate were all in a tizzy as Maggie's arrival had come with little warning. Everyone was busy as the grounds were mown, swept and cleaned, the gardens were pruned and weeded, the house was dusted and aired out, and the horses were groomed and shod. The elderly head housekeeper helped Maggie inside, calling over several porters to help with her luggage. "Oh Dear, Miss Margret! I'm afraid the 'ome is in a frightful state. We simply weren't expecting you, Dear."

"It's not a problem, Mrs. McCurdy. I really wasn't expecting myself here either. How is Mr. McCurdy these days?"

"Strong as an ox, Dear. He's down at the stables saddling up Eachann as we speak." Mrs. McCurdy's plump chest swelled with pride at the mention of her seventy-two year old husband. "And Eachann will be most pleased to see you again, Dear. He's quite the stallion when you're not 'round."

Now it was Maggie's turn to feel proud at the mention of her horse. "I think I'll go for a ride after a quick bite to eat." She answered as she felt her stomach rumble in anger. Airline food was never enough to survive on especially on an all-day flight like she had just been on.

"I'll let Cook know yer 'ungry, Dear." Mrs. McCurdy quickly ushered Maggie up the flight of stairs and into her childhood bedroom. Nothing had changed since the last time she had been there and she loved the old feeling of home as she sunk into the soft mattress on the bed. "Yer riding clothes 'ave been washed and pressed, Dear. I'll ring you for breakfast." Mrs. McCurdy was obviously happy to family back at the old estate and for all it was worth, Maggie was happy to be back as well.

Thoughts of the night before tried to break into her head but Maggie stubbornly refused to think on it. She didn't want to think about how cruel she had been to Mikhail. How stupid she had acted in front of everyone. She hadn't wanted him to know about her 'episodes'. She hadn't wanted Jake to find out just how much he had gotten under her skin. That night, watching her past and her future collide, had been overwhelming. Her only line of defense was pushing them both away. You're safe when you're alone. Her consciousness reminded her. Nobody can hurt you now. Nobody but yourself. Maggie shook her head to clear away her darkening thoughts and nervously tucked her hair in behind her ears. She was hungry and knew full well that her mood would improve with food.

After a quick bite from the kitchen, and several well wishes and welcomes from the staff, Maggie finally headed out to the stables. Eachann pranced like a giddy foal when the familiar scent of Maggie wafted through his nostrils. The beautiful beast rocked in his stall, begging to be let free, even as Mr. McCurdy worked on strapping the last belt in on the saddle. "Down boy, come on, you ain't be wantin' Miss Margret to be seein' you act up."

"Good morning, Mr. McCurdy." Maggie cheered as she turned the corner into the stables.

"Ah Miss Margret. You ain't aged one bit. How are you, Love?"

"I haven't been here for over three years, Mr. McCurdy." Maggie giggled. "But I'm well, thank you. And you?"

"I ain't gonna complain, Love. The Missus would clout me one." Maggie accepted Mr. McCurdy's hug before turning to apprise Eachann. The horse's black eyes glared with envy as he was forced to watch his girl give affection to someone other than himself.