Chapter 14: The Serpent

Zuko's POV

I woke up staring down at Sokka who was sleeping on top of me resting his head right beneath my collar bone. He was drooling a little which was really gross, however he looked so peaceful and sweet that I didn't have the heart to wake him up. Instead I just held him in my arms resting my head against his. I would do anything to protect him and I really hope that yesterday I was able to cheer him up. I honestly love sleeping with Sokka, it makes me feel so much safer and calmer. I closed my eyes again, focusing on Sokka's body. He odor was very comforting, he smelled just like an ocean breeze after rainfall. I could lay here forever and wouldn't complain once. Unfortunately I couldn't because the ship jolted so hard making us fall out of the bed. I held Sokka even tighter, shielding his entire body with mine to minimize the impact of the fall for him. I landed straight on my back but thankfully Sokka's body didn't hit the ground. "Are you okay? What was that?!" Sokka asked me with his eyes open and alert as he got off of my body allowing for us to both sit up. "I'm okay but I have no idea what that was, we probably should-" The ship jolted again. I quickly grabbed onto Sokka once more, protecting his body. The ship threw us into the corner of the room and my head barely missed the edge of my desk. Sokka and I pressed our hands on either side of the wall hard, to maintain balance with our legs wrapped together. Once the shaking on the ship slowed down I grabbed Sokka's hand and we ran towards the main deck. When we got there I saw the entire crew, including the captain of the ship and the Lieutenant. "What is going on?!" I asked loudly. "This green monster keeps on bumping into us!" The captain replied frantically. "What are you talking about?" I asked. "Are you kidding me! Did you seriously sail us near the Serpent Pass???!! Why on earth didn't you take the Lisung route through Chameleon Bay? And besides we shouldn't even be near the Serpent Pass for another day, I can't believe my luck!" Sokka groaned. "You are right Sokka, but somehow the serpent is here right now beside our ship." Lieutenant Hinata said. "Serpent Pass, what? Sokka I am so confused, can you please explain what the actual heck is going on here?" I was so lost. What is all of this monster talk?  "Oh yeah, so during the war when Katara, Aang, Suki, Toph and I were traveling to Ba Sing Se we lost Appa so we had to walk. We were going to take the ferry over but Aang and Katara forced us to go help a few refugees make it to Ba Sing Se, because they lost their IDs and weren't allowed on the ferry. We all decided to take the Serpent's Pass. During the hike this huge five story tall snake started to attack us. We would have all died if Katara and Aang weren't there to defeat it with their water bending. And also when we left Ba Sing Se, after the city was conquered by the Fire Nation we had another encounter with this snake. We were on a stolen Fire Nation navy ship fighting another Fire Nation ship when the snake showed up. The other ship started to attack the serpent and the serpent ended up devouring their entire ship." Sokka explained. My eyes shot out of my head and the crew looked terrified. "So what should we do?" I asked my boyfriend, "Do you have any explosives?" "I'm pretty sure we do," Lieutenant Hinata replied. "Okay good, I suggest that we use one of the lifeboats as a distraction. That way the serpent will attack the lifeboat and not us. We can put the explosives inside the lifeboat and when the time is right it'll explode and the serpent will swim towards it instead. It is very important that we don't attack the huge green serpent, leave it alone. And do not bump into it with our boat, any form of physical contact with the serpent will result in it attacking us." "You heard him, go get the explosives and the lifeboat now!" I ordered my men. I was immediately put on edge, our ship already bumped into this serpent twice. The chances of it attacking was very high. I moved closer to Sokka, squeezing his hand. I looked over at him and saw him formulating some plan inside of his head already. Once my crew came back with our supplies it was too late. The biggest creature I have ever seen emerged out of the water and was now facing us.

The crew ran away as fast as they could from the monster, none (except for Lieutenant Hinata) stood their ground. "Where are you guys going?!" I shouted as they continued to run and hide, "Stand your ground!" I ordered. My men didn't listen and were all running to safety like a bunch of cowards. "We can't let it attack the ship!" Lieutenant Hinata yelled, "Really because I think that would be a great idea!" Sokka remarked, "Not the time Sokka!" I exclaimed. The serpent began screeching, turning its gaze towards us. "Zuko go to the west side of the dock and I'll go to the east. Hinata stay in the middle, we can take turns distracting it in multiple directions. Eventually if we move fast enough I can try to hop on it and hopefully kill it with my sword." "That's a terrible idea Sokka, no way am I letting you hop on top of that creature!" The serpent began screeching again, "Go! We'll figure something out on the way!" Sokka called out. I absolutely hated this idea but we didn't have time to think of something else, and maybe I can think of something before Sokka does something super reckless, (like jumping onto a five story deadly serpent.) We then all took our positions and began attacking. Sokka threw his boomerang right into the Serpent's eye. It looked at Sokka and was about to devour him whole. "Sokka!" I cried as I blasted so much fire from my fists at the serpent. It then turned around to attack me. Sokka threw his boomerang at it and we just went back and forth. Eventually Lieutenant Hinata got involved and the serpent was spinning like crazy. This might actually work. However with my luck the plan stopped working the second I thought of this. Typical. The serpent stopped spinning, stood up straight and was no longer paying attention to Hinata and my fire, only focusing on Sokka's boomerang. "SOKKA!!!!" I screamed running as fast as I could towards him. The serpent was seconds away from swallowing him whole. I dove straight into Sokka jumping as far as I possibly could. Thank the Spirits I was able to tackle Sokka out of the way. The serpent bite a huge chunk of metal out of the ship and threw the metal a good fifty feet. Its yellow eyes found its way back to Sokka and I. I blasted fire from my fist again and it turned its head slightly. Sokka then got up, shoved me to the ground and jumped right off of the ship landing on the serpent. "SOKKA!" I cried out loud. Sokka took his sword and stabbed it right into the serpent's neck, while he was holding on for dear life. "Sokka, get down from there now!" I yelled blasting so much fire in hopes of distracting the serpent. The serpent was moving so frantically trying to get Sokka off of it as it was screeching so much. Sokka was seconds away from falling, "HELP!!!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. I felt completely helpless as I just stood their blasting fire from my fists. When no one in my crew came I decided to run off of the ship and jumped onto the serpent as well. "Zuko get off here!" Sokka screamed at me while he continued to cut the huge serpent. "Not without you!" The serpent's scales were huge and slimy making it almost impossible to hold on. I then saw Sokka fall off of the serpent slicing it on his way down. "SOKKA!!!" I sobbed. I then felt the serpent plummet down into the water jolting me off of it completely. The cold blue ocean water all around me turned warm and red. The serpent was nowhere to be seen, but neither was Sokka. "Sokka?!" I cried frantically swimming around the place looking down into the red waters. I then heard a gasp and saw Sokka emerge above the surface.