Chapter 4: Attack To Kill

Tatsumi was in a kitchen, being taught how to cook by his friends.

Sayo: If you want to make it to the top ranks in the army, you need to start raising your own skills!

Ieyasu: By doing that, even if things get wrong, we'll manage to survive somehow!

(Flashback OFF)

Tatsumi: Sayo, Ieyasu... I'm glad I learned to cook, but... — He thinks, preparing food.

"More!!!" — All of Night Raid who were sitting at the table ask.

Tatsumi: …Thanks to that, I'm being treated like a cook and nothing more!

It had been two days since the incident of the invasion and Tatsumi's encounter with the Night Fury he took down. Being Akame's responsibility, the boy now needed to cook, as the swordswoman was responsible for preparing Night Raid's meals.

Inside the kitchen, the boy was peeling vegetables with a frown, doing his best to stay at least 10 paces away from Akame.

Tatsumi: I'm an assassin, I was the first in the capital to take down a Night Fury, and my only job is to cook!!

He subtly glances at Akame, who seems to be eating more than cooking.

[Insert this soundtrack: Engagement Party — Justin Hurwitz]

Tatsumi: The way she kills without hesitation is terrifying! That guy… maybe he wasn't even that bad! Maybe he could be helped. — He thinks, remembering the intruder from the day of the invasion. — When Akame plunged the sword into him, even for a moment… I saw myself dying in that mercenary's place!

Just imagining himself being pierced by the sword while Akame stared at him with those eyes devoid of any emotion, the boy already felt chills.

Thinking about it, the image of the night dragon comes to mind.

Tatsumi: I still haven't forgotten how that dragon was looking at me when he was trapped. He was scared, in a vulnerable state… he even spared me after being released! If Akame had found him before i did… would she have spared him?

An imaginary scene comes to mind. In that scene, Akame found the Night Fury and took his katana. While the dragon looked at her with those scared eyes, the girl remained stoic before saying "Eliminate" and cutting off the reptile's head, not having the mercy that the boy had.

Tatsumi: Absolutely not!

While he feared and felt chills with the possibilities that appeared in his head, Akame watched him while cooking, without the boy noticing her. But this time it was different, as she looked…sad.

Akame: It still hurts me to see that he's scared of me. He has a lot of potential, but he needs to understand that we do what it takes. Even so…

She closes her left fist over her chest, closing her eyelids to hide her feelings of sadness.

Akame: I don't want one of my teammates to be afraid of me, even if he's a rookie. I just… I don't want him to see me as a monster.

In an attempt to break the ice, she considers complimenting Tatsumi in some way.

Akame: That apron looks good on you.