CHAPTER 2.9 - MOCK/REAL FIGHT

Streaks of black and blue blurred amidst the abandoned factory, each clash igniting sparks that illuminated the surroundings. Neither combatant would relent.

Mockery strained to keep up with the relentless servant. Their transformation had closed the gap between them, but not completely. Not yet.

For every second that passed, with every clash between them, each strike of their spears, and their close proximity, Mockery was able to absorb his knowledge, copying his form, techniques, and tracing over his Saint Graph data for their own use.

As time went on, Mockery grew stronger, more skillful, and refined. The servant's spearmanship became their own, twisted and molded to suit their needs.

Cu Chulainn, Son of Lugh, warrior of Ulster, and disciple of Scathach, the Queen of the Land of Shadow—Mockery started to understand their opponent better.

Cu Chulainn's eyes twitched, devoid of his previous easygoing nature. Facing an opponent who mimicked his very being would unnerve anyone.

"What are you?" he questioned, his voice laced with curiosity and disdain.

"̴W̵e̷ ̵a̵r̶e̸ ̷n̷o̴t̴ ̸h̷e̵r̶e̴ ̸f̴o̴r̷ ̴p̴l̶e̷a̵s̵a̷n̷t̶r̴y̴,̷ ̸H̷o̷u̴n̵d̷ ̶o̵f̵ ̸C̵h̷u̷l̴a̶i̶n̴n̸"̷

A momentary pause hung in the air before Cu Chulainn leaped forward, aiming an overhead thrust with his spear.

Mockery swiftly parried the attack, countering with a deft strike of their own. Their spear swiped upwards, striking Cu Chulainn's abdomen with precision, sending him hurtling through several floors above. Seizing the opportunity, Mockery pursued their adversary, only to be met with a forceful stomp to the head as Cu Chulainn emerged from the dust and debris.

CRASH!

Mockery crashed into the ground, the impact creating a deep crater. Gazing upwards, they witnessed Cu Chulainn retrieve his spear and swiftly throw it, generating a sonic boom as it propelled toward them. Acting swiftly, Mockery pulled their body up, narrowly evading the deadly trajectory.

BOOOM!

The red spear pierced through the concrete floor, missing its intended mark but grazing Mockery's left arm. A surge of pain shot through their limb, rendering it temporarily useless until it could heal.

They needed to buy some time. Mockery bolted out, and Cu immediately gave chase.

"What? You want to run away?" Cu taunted.

Mockery ignored his words, their focus fixed on breaking several concrete pillars as they circled around the area. Cu relentlessly pursued, launching unyielding assaults without any sign of stopping.

Sensing the moment was right, Mockery halted their movement and turned to face Cu's oncoming attacks. With only one hand, they unleashed a flurry of their own assaults. The clash intensified as the two exchanged strikes, but this time, Mockery found themselves easily overwhelmed by Cu's relentless onslaught.

The abandoned factory trembled under the force of their battle. Mockery grinned. This was precisely what they wanted.

Before long, distant rumbling sounds grew louder, and the entire building began to collapse.

"You bastard!" were the last words Mockery heard before they both were buried beneath the falling debris.

A giant cloud of dust blanketed the entire premises. From within the debris, shadows slithered and intertwined, gradually forming the figure of Mockery. Seeing no sign of Cu, they focused their energy on regenerating their injured left hand.