Chapter 9: Hands Of Desire

The things that I believe in, you've taught me to call them all escapes.

~)(~

The flight was shorter than I expected, and thankfully with no accidents. This meeting place Azriel talked about was a town situated against the ocean, and at the edge of the mountain range. I now understood why we were meeting them here.

Since the start of the war, the Middle was a pivotal battle ground. Its location gave easier access to everything, including two very important Courts that bordered the range. My uncle spent most of his time trying to take hold of the Winter Court. That way, he and his allies would surround and finally take the Summer Court, cutting supplies off for the Solar Courts.

Dawn was a safe-haven for humans. A neutral ground that supported the mortals, but didn't wish to join the fight. If my uncle took it, he would have the mortals in his hands to do whatever he wanted. Not to mention the Dawn Court bordered Day, which was one step closer to Night—the goal of my uncle's attack.

It was all very confusing, but now that I was seeing it in person, I finally understood it. To bring this mortal army from the Continent to the border of the Middle would allow them a place to rest, and a brief walk to any battle.

I was shocked to find this town almost entirely filled with mortals. The few High Fae that walked the streets looked more like they were traveling through. If I went back in time and told my younger self about this, she wouldn't believe me. She'd probably laugh at me.

The inn we entered was definitely the nicest I've been in. Most likely owned by a noble Fae. Very well kept, with absolutely delicious food and drink. I finished eating and relaxed into the cushioned chair.

"So, how are they all getting here?"

"Mor is winnowing in her men, while Miryam is traveling by ocean," he answered.

"Do you know Miryam at all?"

"No, but Mor does," he said.

I couldn't help but smirk. "And you know Mor?"

He looked up at me, eyes filled with a weight of uncomfortableness. "Yes, very well."

I tilted my head and looked out the window to see the sun setting over the mountains. Pink and orange light filled the sky as specks of stars started showing. Night was coming, and with it, the cold.

"When will they arrive?"

"Tomorrow morning, and the rest by tomorrow night," he said, also looking out the window.

I picked at a dent left on the wood table and had to stop myself from tearing up a splinter. A few High Fae and some mortals occupied the room, the soft background noise of their conversations able to drown out everything else. The candlelight waved on the ceiling, creating a rather calm ambiance.

The two of us made our way upstairs, and to our separate rooms across each other. Before I entered the room, though, I remembered something that made me snap my fingers. I pulled off the leather jacket and said, "here. If I keep it any longer—I'll forget to give it back."

Azriel gave a small smile and said, "thank you for remembering."

When he took it, our fingers brushed against each other, and a spark flew up my arm—making my body shiver. I could feel something coming towards me like a giant wave getting ready to crash against sand.

I said goodnight and closed my bedroom door as quickly as I could.

The wave crashed into me, and my vision blurred as my mind felt like it was thrown against the floor. Red crept up my cheeks, and a tickling sensation filled my throat and forced me to swallow.