Chapter 12: Memories, Part III

Start from the beginning

Glitch took a deep breath, and fixed his gaze on Omen's dark, featureless face. "Yeah. I have something important to share with you anyways," he said gently. "You asked Cypher about your past, and I have answers." Omen's 'eyes' seemed to shimmer with anticipation. "Tell me," he urged.

"You were once a man named Frederick Wallace," Glitch began, watching closely for any sign of recognition from Omen. "We were close, Omen. In fact, we were partners, like a family, back in the day."

At the mention of the name, pieces of the puzzle began to slowly come together, and small memories started to resurface, like rays of light breaking through the darkness. "Frederick Wallace... Yes, I remember now," Omen whispered, a touch of emotion in his voice. "Y/n..."

Glitch nodded, holding back tears. "Yes, that's right. It's me, Doctor Wallace," he confirmed. "You were my mentor, and we shared many memorable moments. You, me, Doctor Callas, and the others." Glitch reached into his pocket and pulled out a ring. He held it up to Omen. "Doctor Wallace, this ring belonged to you," Glitch said. "I found it among your old belongings, and it's an important piece of your past."

Omen's eyes fixated on the ring, and recognition flashed across his face. "I remember this ring," he said, his voice tinged with awe. "It was passed down from... my mother. I showed it... to my young subordinates. This is... it's all coming back to me."

Glitch was glad to see Omen reconnecting with his forgotten self. "I'm glad it's helping you remember," he replied, his tears finally dropping down his cheek. He brushed them off immediately. Omen looked at Glitch, and his voice grew softer. "Y/n, how are you and Iselin?" he inquired, a touch of concern in his tone.

Glitch's eyes softened with nostalgia. "We... we broke up," he answered, a hint of sadness in his voice, afraid to disappoint his former mentor with the breakup news. "But that's not important right now. What matters is helping you remember who you truly are for good. We don't want you forgetting again in coming days."

Omen nodded, understanding Glitch's priority. "I think I know what to do," he said, holding the ring tightly in his hand. "You do?" Glitch asked. 

"This ring is a link to my past, to the life I once lived," Omen replied. "And I planned to share that life with someone," he continued.

Glitch smiled warmly at him. "That's right, Doctor Wallace. Let the memories guide you," he encouraged. Omen nodded, feeling a newfound sense of purpose. "Thank you, y/n. For helping me find my way back," he said gratefully.

.

.

.

10:21PM

"Omen?"

Lost in his thoughts, Omen's trance was broken by the sound of his name—the familiar voice of Viper calling out to him. He stood outside her door, gathering the courage to knock and seek answers, but the flood of memories kept distracting him. Clenching the ring tightly in his palm, he observed Viper's face, feeling a strange yet undeniable attraction to her tonight. Finally, he mustered the courage and decided to approach.

"Viper. Sabine. Can I talk to you for a minute?" he asked, surprised at himself for remembering her name properly after all this time. Viper's tired eyes widened in astonishment, taken aback by his clarity. "Sure, Omen. What do you need?" she responded, genuinely curious about his unexpected visit.

Omen's gaze shifted towards her dark room, silently signaling that he wished to have a more private conversation. Viper understood and stepped aside, allowing him to enter her room. "Come in," she invited, closing the door behind them.

"Were you asleep?" Omen inquired, glancing at the sleepy atmosphere of the room. "I was about to," Viper replied, intrigued by Omen's sudden presence. "I won't take long. Give me your hand," Omen requested, surprising her with his unusual demand.

Uncertain but willing, Viper extended her right hand, only to be corrected by Omen who shook his head. "The other one," he said, prompting her to extend her left hand. She then presented her left hand, puzzled by his ghostly cold touch. "Omen, what are you doing?" she questioned, seeking answers.

"Give me a moment. I am nervous," Omen replied, surprising even himself with his newfound vulnerability. It was as if he had never felt this way before, unsure yet determined to proceed.

With a mixture of confusion and anticipation, Viper watched as Omen revealed an object from his palm—a ring. Her eyes widened in bewilderment as she couldn't grasp the meaning behind his actions. "Omen, what are you-?" she asked, her heart racing.

"I remember," Omen muttered softly, his voice filled with emotions. "I had plans. For the both of us."

The puzzle pieces seemed to be falling into place for Omen, and a sense of clarity washed over him. He slid the ring onto her ring finger, and it fit perfectly, as if it belonged there all along. "I asked a jeweler to resize this ring for you," he said.

 "Fred, is that you?" Viper asked, hope glimmering in her eyes.

"Yes, Sabine, it's me," he said, gazing deeply into her eyes. "The memories are returning, and I want to remember everything."

In that tender moment, Omen and Viper shared a connection beyond the surface, a bond that transcended time and memory. Tears welled up in Viper's eyes as she realized the significance of the moment. "Fred, I've missed you so much," she whispered, her voice trembling. "No matter how many times you forget, I'm always here for you, Fred. I'll be here every time," she continued.

Omen pulled Viper into his arms and enveloped Viper in a tight embrace, holding her as if she were the only anchor to his past. "I won't let go of these memories anymore. I won't forget, I promise. Even if I can't remember, I can feel it deep in my heart," he whispered, his voice filled with determination and vulnerability. Viper's face was buried against his ice-cold chest, tears streaming down her cheeks as she clung to him.

In that moment, time seemed to stand still as they held each other, finding solace in the comfort of their shared history. Omen's touch brought back echoes of their past romance, and Viper could feel the weight of those memories returning.

Viper's sobs became a mixture of relief and grief. She had feared losing him to the abyss of forgotten memories forever. But now, just feeling this moment gave her hope and comfort. 

Omen tightened his hold around her, cherishing the warmth of their connection. "Thank you, Sabine," he murmured. "For never giving up on me."

.

.

.

.

To be continued

To be continued