Chapter 12: Memories, Part III

Start from the beginning

Omen was shocked to hear this revelation. He dropped his crossed arms, his trust in Cypher beginning to crumble. "Is that true, Cypher?! Have you been using me?!" he questioned in disbelief.

"Wait, Omen, I can explain!" Cypher's words were shaky and desperate. "I always keep my word in all of the bargains! And the world became a better place through your heroic deeds!" Cypher said as he attempted to defend himself.

Feeling betrayed, Omen rushed towards Cypher and grabbed him by the neck with both hands, choking him, and lifted him off the floor. "Answer my question!" he demanded, his anger boiling over. Struggling to breathe, Cypher could hardly respond. "I'm sorry, Omen! I-I-" His attempts at explanation were cut short by his lack of breath.

"I trusted you, Cypher! I thought...! I thought we were friends. But it turns out I was just... a tool to you," Omen expressed his disappointment and pain.

Glitch, witnessing the situation spiral out of control, panicked. He understood that he had to intervene. "Wait, that's enough, Omen. Let him go, or he might die," Glitch pleaded, attempting to calm Omen down and prevent any further harm.

Omen, overwhelmed by emotions, released his grip, and Cypher fell to the floor, gasping for air and coughing heavily. Omen then left the room without saying a word, his heart heavy with betrayal. 

Glitch rushed to Cypher's aid, his concern evident. As he helped Cypher to his feet, his eyes were filled with disappointment and a tinge of anger. "Words won't be enough to fix this, Cypher," he said, his voice colder than before. "I know... I'll make it right," Cypher replied.

"You better," Glitch said, his voice still stern. "Omen deserves better than this, and so do we all."

.

.

.

"Omen, I think I have the answer you've been looking for. But I need you to do something for me first."

.

"Omen, I have the information that you asked for. But my price... it hasn't been paid yet."

.

"Omen, I think I have information about your past life."

.

"Omen..."

.

"Omen..."

.

"Omen,"

.

"I will tell you..."

.

"Who you are."

.

Memories of countless conversations with Cypher continued to haunt Omen, clouding his mind with fragments of the past. He couldn't help but wonder what he had truly learned from those exchanges and how he had paid for the price he couldn't recall. The uncertainty bore down on him as he struggled to grasp the elusive memories.

Omen was sitting alone on a quiet rooftop, lost in his thoughts. After tens of minutes have passed, Glitch finally found him. "Mind if I sit down?" he asked, gesturing to the spot next to Omen. Omen nodded silently, allowing Glitch to take a seat. "I thought he was a friend," he said softly, his voice tinged with pain. "But now I'm not sure who I can trust." 

"I understand," Glitch replied, sympathizing with Omen's vulnerability. "Trust takes time to build, and it can be easily shattered," he continued. Omen turned to face him, his ghostly visage flickering, "I don't know who I am anymore. I don't remember my past, my identity. Can you help me?" he requested, his voice dark and lonely.