"Yeah," Bubble echoed, staring into the sunset and pressing himself against Puddle. "I...I really want to help ShoreClan too..." their voices faded until I couldn't hear them anymore.

"How are you, Mistpaw," Littlepaw asked the former ShoreClan apprentice.

"Life's been good," The tom smiled with more genuine happiness than I had ever seen from him. "Here in GladeClan, they used something called the Shimmermoor to remove the powers from me. I'm actually a warrior now," he admitted. "Mistnose! And Doepaw is Doedapple!" He paused. "He's pretty awesome... and kind."

Ripplepaw watched them from the shadows as Mistnose went on more shyly.

"I'm actually thinking of asking to be his mate someday...no rush, but-"

Littlepaw grinned. "He seems like a good cat," she meowed brightly. "I'm glad you've found happiness here, Mistnose," she paused. "I just hope it stays that way."

"Yeah..." Mistnose nodded uneasily. "Your clanmates...they came for the Shimmermoor. They said they wanted it to erase their clan powers? But then Bubbleburst also threatened our clan with war when Shardstar refused," he shook his head as though trying to clear it of dark thoughts. "After the wildfires, we really can't take it, especially not from a clan with powers."

As Littlepaw and Mistnose continued talking about the stone, which I saw glowing at his paws, now in ShoreClan possession, I found myself turning to my sister. She was trembling slightly.

"What?" I asked her, a little more harshly than I meant.

Ripplepaw shot me a glare before settling herself down. A stray sprig of small lupine brushed her face, and I wondered if she was allergic, because her eyes seemed misty, almost red.

"It's nothing," she muttered under her breath, fixing me with a complacent stare. "You wouldn't understand, Ferretpaw, and that's okay."

"Yeah?" I grunted. "Try me for once, why don't you."

Ripplepaw winced. "I'm sorry," the white she-cat began. She spoke quietly, so that Littlepaw and Mistnose wouldn't be able to hear. "It's hard when we haven't talked in moons," she flashed me a rueful smile.

I nodded, trying to hide my scowl of confusion.

"I just...." Ripplepaw winced as she flashed a quick glance in Mistnose's direction. "I tried to start a new life," she muttered, then words started tumbling over themselves. "And part of that was making friends with other cats. Some of that was fake, I can see, looking back, but the feelings I had for Mistnose were real. Oh StarClan, I love him."

I shrugged uncomfortably. "He loves you too, you saw how happy he was to see you."

Ripplepaw looked away, and I realised her claws were flexing in and out. "No," she repeated, trying to act firm, but her voice quivered. "I wanted him to be my mate."

I understood. "Which isn't possible."

Ripplepaw let out a whimper.

"Why can't you just be friends?" I asked gently.

"Life doesn't work that way."

I glanced over my shoulder to where Mistnose and Littlepaw were chatting. Doedapple burst into the den, brushing noses with Mistnose, before turning back to beckon the other cats in his care into the den. Mistnose glanced over at me, and let out a reassuring smile.

"Ripplepaw," I stared at the ground. "Nothing is black or white, a yes or a no. Maybe you can't be mates with Mistnose, but that doesn't mean you can't support him. You can always be his friend."