Cam's POV

Camille Raylin is perfect, poised and elegant. Anything she wants is at the tip of her fingers. She's the girl every boy wants and the girl every girl wants to be.

To most girls that's their daily affirmations in the morning; a hopeless attempt at manifesting something that they'll never be.

But for me, it's the truth.

However, right now I felt the furthest thing from poised and elegant.

I sat in the backseat of the car, my jaw clenched in anger as my face scrunched into a scowl. Me and my father were on the way to an event and usually I'm all for events. Nothing boosts my ego more than being the prettiest person at a party, but for this specific event I'd rather die than be there.

The event in question was the Ray Industry's annual gala. It was basically an event that commemorates my father for rising from the lowest of lows and inheriting my grandfathers company. Peep the sarcasm.

He didn't even build the company yet he has the audacity to set up an annual gala and pretend like he's actually doing something.

I guess I do have one flaw... daddy issues.

I peered over at my father and grit my teeth. He never acknowledged my presence unless it benefitted him in some way. And having your own daughter not show up to your event was a big no no in his book. That was the only reason I was here.

"You can be mad all you want Cam," my dad said as he continued shuffling through his speaker notes, "but you're in the car on the way to my banquet, so who's the real winner here?"

I clenched my jaw in an attempt to bite back my remark but it slipped out anyway. "Yeah you're so right dad. You're a real winner for building the company from the ground! Oh wait. You didn't do that, grandpa did. But hey! At least you did a great job raising me. Wait never mind. You didn't do that either, that was mom. The only thing you're a pro at is swooping in when something is already successful and taking the credit."

My dad just ignored me and continued reading over his notes which just made me even more furious. My dad knew exactly what to do to push my buttons and I hated it.

Burt, our driver, flicked his eyes up to the rearview mirror to give me a reassuring glance but didn't say anything.

The rest of the ride went by in silence and I could already feel the familiar feeling of disappointment settle down in my stomach.

~•~

The car soon rolled to a stop outside the banquet hall and I could already hear the clamoring chaos of the photographers and paparazzi. From my view I could see the dozens of politicians, business owners, and important shareholders that my dad frequently did business with posing for the camera with their families.

You'd think that the paparazzi in Los Angeles, California would have their hands full with actual celebrities, but I guess capturing photos of old, rich, white guys also brings in a check.

I quickly fixed my hair and dress, before stepping outside into the cold air. I know I wasn't exactly thrilled to be there but no one should catch me lacking.

As the photographers caught sight of me stepping out of my dad's car, they immediately diverted their attention from the lady who was obviously posing for the camera and turned them on me.

I shot them a quick smile, trying to walk straight to the door, but my dad quickly caught my shoulder and pulled me to his side. To the cameras it might've seemed like an endearing gesture, but only I could feel his arm gripping my shoulder a little too tight.