The once lightly scratched bite looked infected and diseased. The wound was darker, with blackened veins creeping out like an infested plant vine.

"What the hell..." I whispered. "What is this? Fucking gangrene?!" I asked, scramming up to my feet in shock, staring at my arm with my face in distress.

Faye stood up and Alice darted her eyes in anxiousness. "Calm down, Zoey. It's natural that your wound would take effect like this."

"Natural? There's nothing natural about this." I shook my head in a panic. "Shouldn't I see a doctor?" I asked desperately. They couldn't keep me from one, could they?

Faye shook her head. "I told you, there's nothing any human doctor can do. We must let nature take its course... if it's in your fate," she sighed and held my shoulders. Her touch was firm yet warm. "It's up to the moon goddess now," she said with a sympathetic smile. "Your first shift will be more aggressive since the full moon is so close. But who knows, maybe luck will be on your side and the moon won't show up."

I cringed my eyes. Absorbing what she said as she strolled to the kitchen. But only one thing came into mind... I needed medical help!

"I need to get to a doctor, Alice." I whispered.

"But they said you can't leave," she whispered in return. "Our doctors can't help."

"How do you know that for sure?" I said. "I can't take their word for it. Did you see my arm? It looks like death bit into it!"

"Do you know what this means?" Alice murmured, inching close. But I didn't pay attention. "You're going to turn into a werewolf."

I spun around, facing her. "No, I am not!" I snapped. "I don't care what the hell they have to say. I deal with fucking science, and this needs medical attention. It's fucking rabies!" I blurted and marched out of the living room, dashing up the steps to my bedroom.

Once inside, I shut the door. But something felt strange. I hadn't noticed at first, but then it hit me. No brace was on my left foot. I didn't grab my crutch. I dropped my head to my ankle. It felt much better — stronger. There was a slight tinge in my muscle but healed enough to walk without a limp.

I lifted my left ankle and gave it a twirl. It felt great! I raised my brow, impressed.

"I guess my ankle is good now... fucking finally," I muttered.

But now I faced another injury, my damn arm. If Alice won't help me, I need to help myself. These people refused to let me leave and forced me to do the only thing I could think of before it was too late. I walked into the bathroom and pulled out a clean bandage and wrapped it around my arm with a grimace.

"Shit," I huffed and opened the faucet, splashing my face with the cool water. I hovered over the sink, leaning my arms against the ceramic. I grasped my toothbrush as my tongue grazed my teeth. But my tongue stopped at my right canine, feeling the tip of my tooth. It was sharp and pointy. Instantly, I examined it in the mirror. Both canines appeared abnormally longer. I blinked and shook my head. My brain playing fucking tricks on me.

After brushing my teeth quickly, I sauntered to the window, rubbing my arms from agitation. The pack ground was bustling with activity and my gaze wandered to the tall, thick trees of the forest.

I needed to wait till nightfall.

***

It was 11:10 pm and the day finally ended. I sat at the edge of the mattress of my dimly lit bedroom. I bounced my knees and stared at my watch, gripping the ripped sheets tightly that I made into a make-shift rope. The patrolling deltas should pass their watch area in five minutes, and that was my chance to slip through into the forest. I studied their movements enough over the past two weeks, and their patrol regime was exactly the same. Every fifteen minutes, they stop and move along the borders.