~42~

Crashing and banging woke me up. Jason and the doctor were on the floor. I sprung up to see the last person I expected. Teresa. She was frantically pulling the wires off me.

"Teresa? What are- what are you doing here?"

"What the hell were you thinking! You were gonna kill yourself!"

"I-" I looked into her eyes, confused as to why she was crying. But she wasn't just crying. She was in hysterics. "Why did you come back for me?"

She sniffed, wiping her face dry with her sleeve. "I couldn't just leave my little sister to die, could I?"

It was like a light bulb in my brain switched on. When I first met her in the glade, and I thought we'd met before, it wasn't just a silly feeling. We had met before. I've known her my whole life.

The memories started to fade back, the bulb glowing brighter. For once, the memories weren't just out of reach. They were flowing back. Quicker than I could comprehend. Her face, but younger, her arms around me. Our mother...

"We need to go before-" She was cut off by Janson grabbing hold of her hair and yanking her back.

"No!" I picked up a knife from the trolley and jabbed it into his leg. He screamed, letting go.

I felt the floor shake beneath me. Outside the window, I could see the city burning. Buildings crumbling. They were taking the building down with us inside it.

"Come on!" I pulled her up from the floor and dragged her away.

She took the lead, knowing the building better than I did. Showing me where to go. I turned around for a split second to check behind us, and to my horror, Jason was pursuing us readying his gun to shoot.

"Teresa!" I yelled, pushing her around the corner as the gunshots went off.

We stumbled into a room with automatic doors. What I thought was some sort of sanitiser went off, blowing smoke out.

My head felt dizzy from all of the action, and my stomach was aching. Burning? A lot. I reached out to where it was hurting and looked down at my blood covered hand.

"We have to get out of here -" Teresa paused. "Y/n?"

Pulling up the bottom of my shirt to reveal a bullet wound, red trickling down my stomach. I needed to sit down, I felt like fainting.

"Shit!" She fell down next to me. Scrambling on the floor for something to put on my wound. She held some fabric against it. "Put pressure on it."

"You have to go."

"No."

The sanitiser went off again. Janson. Teresa quickly hid, and I dragged myself behind the counter I was leaning against. My energy was fading fast, I wasn't going to make it out of here. Why didn't she just save herself?

"Y/n? Teresa?" He beconned. "It's ironic that the only two left are the two sisters. Surely you've figured that out by now, Y/n?"

I could hear his footsteps. "You were willing to sacrifice yourself before Y/n. Why the sudden change of mind?"

Teresa gasped, and there was panicked movement.

"Where is she?" He growled.

"She can't cure you."

"She's an immune. Why should she get to be protected from the virus while the rest of us suffer? Why should any of you?"

I peered around the corner to see Janson poiting his gun at her, about a metre away.