2. First Days

Hello, the prologue and the first chapter were in Danica's perspective. This chapter is in Matilda's perspective. The next one will be in Danica's again. Excluding the prologue, every chapter will flip the perspective between the two sisters, with Danica being odds and Matilda being evens.
Thank you for reading and have a beautiful day.

The first day of school is one of the few days I have always dreaded.
  The first day of school always takes me by the big toe. Well, that's where it started but it jumps to my back and spreads to my lungs which leads to my heart to enter my brain and then my stomach.
  I would feel sick and sweaty and not want to go. I wouldn't tell anyone I wanted to stay home and never leave the house, so I would go. And hate it. Then continue to hate it until Wednesday morning and I'd be O V E R IT.
  Today was the same. But also, definitely not the same.

  Sammy drove to my house early enough to eat breakfast with my family but, today my family was not whole. Normally, I wouldn't say "my family" I would say "our family."
  This morning was just like every other "first day" But it wasn't.
  Sammy ate a sliced up banana in a bowl of orange juice and I had half a glass of water.
  Sammy kissed my mother bye and fist-bumped my dad on her way to the front door.
  I grabbed my bag off the floor and my phone from the counter, " Bye mom, bye dad." No kiss or fist bump from me.
  "Liven up, don't sound so sad." Dad smiled.
  "Hey! That rhymed." Dad, again.
  Both my parents hollered, "Have a good day, honey." And "See you after four, Sammy!"
  Before my parents could say they loved us, I shut the door.

  In the car I didn't feel any better and I think Sammy noticed because she said, "Come on Matty, what's wrong?"
  I looked at her at the stop sign on the end of my street, and even though she wanted to, she didn't look at me.
  I answered, "Ya know how Danica is gone, right?"
  "Yeah."
  "Well, this is my very first day of getting ready in the morning and getting driven to school without her."
  "Yeah, doesn't it feel freeing?"
  "Um, no. Not really."
  "How?"
  "Well-"
  "When Mary went off to college, Kyle just felt so happy. Then when Kyle left, I felt so happy. I don't know how you're not bursting from the seams with freedom, joy, and I don't know. The 'crazy you'."
  "Today is my very first day without her on the first day of school. It is heightened."
  "Hmm."
  But I don't think Sammy understood. I mean, I can totally understand why Kyle was happy and why Sammy was happy and why (to Sammy) I should be. But I'm just.
  Not.
  And I've never told Sammy about It before.
  I've never told anyone about It before.
  But I don't think Sammy was listening anymore.
I don't think Sammy cared to listen anymore.
I don't think Sammy cared to understand what she was no longer listening to...
  Anymore.