Blooming Romance

Carlos found human beds comfortable. His castle beds were equivalent to stone, and rumors spread that King Nash refused to purchase more luxurious furniture simply because he preferred his children to learn a valid lesson about humility. 'Think peasants own such valuable items?" King Nash regularly said downing mead and roasted boar. A particular memory arose:

"I know they lack proper household items since you, our lovely and caring king, declared you shall receive the newest and well-designed amenities first." Carlos gritted his teeth. His hunger vanished as per usual: how dare King Nash boast of humility while completely ignoring the kingdom's subjects.

"Childish rumors," Nash belched. "A true king should king shares his wealth and fortune." 

"How many families go hungry as our majesty gorges himself to near death." Carlos grimaced. 

King Nash's fist slammed, and plates and silverware flew and clattered. Food stained a recently cleaned stone floor, a wine spilled red liquid over the table, and droplets met Carlos's lap. "ENOUGH! BOOOOOOOY! WHAT SHALL I DO? HAND OUT JEWELS? PERSONALLY COOK RANDOM PEASANTS DINNER?! LET THEM RULE MY THRONE?!"

"Nay father!" Carlos snarled. "A KING SHOULD ACT KIND AND HONORABLY! WHERE IS YOUR HONOR, FATHER WHEN HAVE YOU LAST CONSIDERED ANOTHER SOUL BESIDES YOUR OWN?!"

Nash threw aside his seat, grabbed Carlos's shirt collar, and yanked him close. So close Carlos smelled his father's drunken stench.

"Listen, boy...." Nash threatened. "Think you know me? Consider me a drunk pig? Fine, go ahead. The last time I cared...last time I loved, my was left shattered. Her kindness lowered my guard. I was weakened, I wasn't ready to take such damage. I shall never again take another devastating blow."

"Father..."

"Leave me be. Go..." Nash set Carlos free. Carlos tried comforting the king, but words weren't enough. Not today. He would've hugged him, oh how he wished he hugged him.

"See you tomorrow morning," Carlos said instead.

"Goodnight son."

"BEN! YOU HOGGED ALL OUR HOT WATER!"

"HAHAHA! BETTER LUCK TOMORROW BRO!"

Ben and Noah's argument reached Carlos's ears. Window drapes were drawn back, sunbeams tickled his skin, and birds began singing sweet melodies. What truly grabbed the man's attention was a mouth-watering smell. A smell that he was a stranger to.

KNOCK!
KNOCK!
KNOCK!

"I cooked breakfast, what some?" Ben asked itching the door open. "Noah's waiting to see your reaction trying waffles."

"Waffles?" Carlos kicked off the spare room sheets and blankets. He deeply enjoyed wearing what Ben called 'freaking best pajamas'. The pants were green, and a short sleeve grey shirt.

"Waffles, best breakfast food ever," Ben said entering.

"I'll be the judge." Carlos stumbled and grumbled. He does have a giant appetite. Ben and he walked through the house and reached the living room. Noah was eating breakfast on the couch, completely glued to whatever the television was playing.

"Morning little man." Carlos ruffled Noah's already messy hair.

"Morning, big guy."

"How'd everyone sleep?" Ben switched off the television earning a disappointing groan from the little brother.

"I slept fantastically." Carlos sniffed the air, whatever waffles were, they smelled delicious.

"Slept alright. Had a dream Ben was nearly eaten alive. Oh wait hah—AHHH!" Noah dodged Ben's tackle move.