For a split second, I considered that as a sign from the universe that this was a bad idea, but I pushed that thought aside and marched over to her room knowing gently. I took a few deep breaths, calming my nerves, forcing myself to act normal.

"Come in dear," She replied in a matter of minutes in her usual sing-songy tone.

I twisted the handle pushing the door open and walked in, an innocent smile on my lips. I instantly wanted to slap myself across the face because, in my head, that was probably the most suspicious thing I could have done. She was on her bed in her purple silk nightgown, her blanket over her lap, one of her many reality shows up on the TV.

"I thought you'd be asleep by now," I walked deeper into the bedroom, taking a seat on the light grey bed stool. 9 was usually the latest Aunt Jenna would be willing to stay up, and it was nearly thirty minutes past her usual bedtime.

She let out a quiet chuckle, "I was about to but then I made the executive decision to start a new show and now I'm hooked," 

I pulled my gaze away from her and looked over at the TV, "What's this one about?" 

"A bunch of conventionally attractive people are put on an island and all they have to do is not have sex to win," She snickered at her explanation, "God, it's so dumb but so entertaining,"

I stayed with her.

 I couldn't bring myself to end the conversation, not when she was so excited to tell me about every contestant's backstory and who they were with. So I stayed. And I listened. And I practically drowned in the complete and utter guilt I felt for what I was about to do. I was there with her physically, but mentally I was trying to figure out how things would work out now that she was wide awake, something I hadn't anticipated. 

We were halfway through the fourth episode when my phone dinged pulling both of our attention from the TV. I reached into the pocket of my hoodie pulling out my phone, my eyes scanning the text on my screen.

Aiden: Hey I'm outside. 

Those three words were enough to make my heart nearly lip out of my chest from how fast it was beating.

"Who's texting you so late?" She leaned forward slightly trying to take a look at my phone screen, I was quick to slide it back into my pocket.

"It's T, she um wants to talk," Lying was never my forte but I prayed that at least this time it was even slightly believable.

"Couldn't it wait till tomorrow?"

"Apparently, it's important," I said with a chuckle getting up, "I better go see what she wants,"  I made my way to her side of the bed pulling her into an embrace, "then I'm probably gonna get some sleep," I lean in resting my head atop hers, the sweet scent of her shampoo filled my nostrils and it hit me right then and there that this could very well be the last time I see her, feel her, smell her. I pulled her tighter against me not caring if that made me look suspicious.

"Shall I pause the show so we can continue together?" She asked resting her warm hands on my arm that was wrapped around her.

My head which was still atop hers moved lightly as I shook my head. I felt a lump form in my throat at the thought of not seeing her again if this little escapade of mine resulted in my father capturing me. "I'll catch up," I managed to get out, "I love you okay?" I mumbled burying my face in her hair, trying to memorize her scent.

"And I love you dear," She said with a bright smile, "sweet dreams," She added as I pulled away from the embrace.

After taking a few moments to compose myself in the hallway, things moved fast when I entered my bedroom. I locked my door behind me, slid my sunglasses onto my face, slid on my sneakers, and wrapped my silk scarf around my head tying it under my chin. 

I was unlocking and opening my window just seconds later, my bag in hand. And there he was, right under my window staring up at it, a bright smile lifted his face. The light from the light post illuminated his face, this was the closest I'd ever seen him but we were on a time crunch giving me no time to fully take in his features.

 His ladder was leaned up right against my window just like we had previously planned.

Last chance Kris. A little voice of reason spoke up, this was my last chance to turn back around and go to bed and forget about this stupid idea. 

I held up my backpack and was thankful when he nodded holding his hands understanding that I wanted him to catch it. We had to be as quiet as possible as I tossed my bag out to him, I nearly patted myself on the back for my impressive throwing skills as the bag landed right into his hands.

I had to repeatedly shush the little voice inside my head asking me what the hell I was doing because frankly, I had no fucking clue. I took a final deep breath and sat on my window ledge and brought my first leg out and onto the ladder. 

This was probably a horrible time to mention that I had a crippling fear of heights and I'd never been on a ladder before. But hey, there's a first time for everything am I right?

Don't look down, don't look down, don't look down. I had to remind myself over and over again as I finally managed to position myself and take my first step down, but the image that my brain managed to create my vivid enough to make my legs feel like jelly which only sent me into a deep state of panic.

I couldn't tell you exactly how long I stay on that first step holding onto the ladder for dear life, trying to recompose myself. I then remembered that there was a man just a few feet below, watching me. The thought of how stupid I must have looked to him was enough to get my brain working, my muscles moving. 

My right leg moved down in blind search of the next step.

 But I rushed it, and my sneaker missed the step by a millimeter causing me to slip.

And with that slip came a blood-curdling scream that seemed to echo for miles ahead.

Shit.

Ah, another chapter done! Thoughts???                                                                                                                    

Thank you so much for reading I appreciate every single one of you, I truly do <3                        

You can connect with me on Instagram for little sneak peeks or just to chat!                                   IG: jasw.rites