Chapter 10

Kristal Anderson

Kristal Anderson

TW: Suicide

"Oh good morning, dear," Aunt Jenna smiled as soon as I entered the kitchen, she stood by the kitchen island whipping some eggs for breakfast. Her gaze ran down my body taking in my attire; a black oversized hoodie, black sweat pants and sneakers,"What's the occasion?"

I opened my mouth to speak but a sudden wave of nervousness washed over me making me clear my throat before I started, "It's my mother's birthday today,"

Her smile saddened before she nodded slowly, "It is, she would have been fifty-four today," She halted her movements, staring off into the distance as she spoke.

A wave of sadness washed its way through me as images of what life could have looked like if she was still alive; would I be baking her a cake, or planning her party or taking her out to her favorite restaurant. All of those questions would continue to go unanswered because he took her away from me.

I simply nodded, "I'm going to see her–"

"Kristal–" She cut me off with a small sigh.

"Just– hear me out Aunt Jenna, you know that every year on her birthday I take flowers to her grave. I know that this year is. . . different but it's been over three months since I last visited her and I can't fucking take it anymore," My mouth was moving faster than my brain was double checking the words, "I need to see her, I need to be around her, I can't just go years without seeing her, it's destroying me," I was seeing double as my tears clouded my vision and I made no effort to restrain them, "I need to feel close to her somehow, Aunt Jenna, can't you understand that?"

Her hands moved down to grip onto the island as she let out a big sigh, moving her gaze down to the marble island then back up to meet mine, "I understand that dear, I promise I do and you have to understand that this hurts me too, I would never willingly prohibit you from doing something like this. But your father–"

I let out a scoff, "But my father nothing, I can't fucking do this anymore!" The anger and frustration was bubbling up inside me and spilling over the edges, "I can't let him continue to control my life like this!"

"Kristal, I understand that you're angry but you do not need to raise your voice at me," Her soft voice met my ears completely contrasting my screams. I could feel my body practically shrink in on itself as guilt was quick to eat me alive.

"I'm sorry," I said, forcing myself to lower my voice. Though the anger and frustration were still brightly burning, the guilt overpowered it all. I let out a sigh walking around the island towards her as I collected my thoughts, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you. This is just. . . it's a lot,"

I stood before her, she took my hands in hers and gave them a reassuring squeeze, "I know, this is so painful for me too, I hate doing this but you can't go. You can't risk yourself like this, it's an important day I'm sure he's expecting you to do something today so the chances that he'll attack are so much higher, sweetheart,"