A Good Morning

RAY'S POV, 9:33 AM

I woke up on the couch next to Norman and Danni. I rubbed my eyes and got up to go wash my face. Once I was done with that, I looked in the fridge to see what there was to make for breakfast.

I didn't see anything good, so I looked in the pantry. Pancakes, I thought as I grabbed the box of pancake mix. I put it on the counter and grabbed a frying pan out of the cupboard. I sprayed it with cooking spray and put it on the gas stove. I started the flame for the burner.

I made the pancake mix and after a few minutes, I ran some water on my hand for a second and shook some onto the pan. It crackled, so I grabbed a small measuring cup and scooped some pancake mix, then poured it in the pan.

I waited a couple minutes and flipped the pancake. After waiting another few minutes, I scooped it up and put it on the plate. I repeated all of this a few more times.

As I was making the last pancake, I felt someone wrap their arms around me. I quickly turned around, ready to slap whoever it was with my spatula. I held it up, but didn't do what I was thinking when I realized who it was.

"Norman! You scared me, bozo!" I yelled. He laughed, holding his stomach. Once he was done laughing, he wiped a tear from his eye and tore a piece of a pancake off, then popped it in his mouth.

"Tastes a little like cinnamon. You put any in there?" he said.

"Who said I'd tell you?" I asked with a smirk. He smiled at me. My face warmed up and I turned back around and flipped the pancake that was on the pan. I did put cinnamon in there, but I like making pancakes with an extra ingredient every time and not telling anybody what they are.

I turned back around to face Norman. He was checking his phone. He looked up at me. "My dad wants to know if you'd like to come to his work party thing. His coworker is throwing a little party I guess because he's like rich but he needs a one or two boys our age to keep his daughters distracted while they're speaking," he explained. I looked at Danni, who was passed out on the couch still.

"Uh, sure. I gotta drop Danni at home first though," I said as I looked back at the pancake that was cooing on the pan. I scooped it up and put it on the plate, then turned the stove off. I lifted up the pan and took it to the sink, running water over it that was cold at first. It slowly got warm and I sprayed some dish spray on the pan, then started scrubbing the inside and outside of it.

I turned back to Norman again. "Can you wake her up? Breakfast is ready," I said. He looked in the living room at the sleeping Danni. He set his phone down on the table and went into the living room. He woke Danni up quietly and came walking back into the kitchen. He texted his dad back.

After a few minutes, Danni came staggering into the kitchen with a major bed head and barely open eyes. "Good morning, Beetlejuice," I joked. She glared at me. "Okay, jeez. How many pancakes do you want?" I asked her.

"Two," she said. I grabbed a plate and put two pancakes on it.

"Syrup, butter?" I asked. She nodded and I put syrup and butter on her pancakes and put the plate down in front of her. I grabbed a fork and put it on her plate.

"Norman, do you want some?" I asked. Norman smiled and stood up.

"Sure, but I can get it," he said. He walked over to the counter and grabbed a plate. He put a pancake on it and some syrup and butter and put it on the table. He grabbed a fork from the small drawer I got Danni's out of. I did the same.

We ate in a peaceful silence and when everybody was done, I walked over to the sink with all the dishes and started running some warm water. I put some dish soap in the sink. I waited a minute to let the sink fill up and when I wasn't looking, bubbles went flying at me.

I turned around to see a giggling Norman. I scooped up some bubbles from the soapy water and blew some back at him. "Weirdo," I said as I put the dishes in the sink. He chuckled.

"Here, let me help," he said. I looked at him and shook my head with a smile.

"You don't have to. It's not a lot of dishes. Only a few," I said. He smiled back at me and gently moved me to the side.

"It's alright, Ray. I wanna help you." Norman rolled up his sleeves and grabbed the cloth that was hanging from the faucet. He let it soak in the soapy water for a second before taking it out along with a plate. I walked to the other side of him where the second sink was. I moved the faucet so it was over that sink.

I started running warm water before Norman handed me a plate, then a fork. A fork, a plate. A plate, a fork.

I rinsed off every plate and fork he handed to me and put them on the drying rack.

"We're done then," I said as I turned the water off and wiped off my hands. Norman wiped off his hands. He gave me a mischievous smile before he picked me up. I grabbed his shoulders to support myself, he was holding me up with his hands on the lower part of the back of my thighs.

"What's this for?" I asked him. He just kept smiling. I could feel my face grow warm.

"Ray, can you drop me off at home now? I want one of my friends to come over," Danni interrupted. Norman put me down.

"Yeah, go put your shoes on," I said, pointing to the cubbies by the door where all the shoes were kept. Norman and I walked over to that spot with Danni and we all put on our shoes. I opened the door and picked Danni up.

We walked out of the house together and Norman closed the door behind us. We walked for about ten minutes before we crossed the street and immediately saw my uncle's house.

I put Danni down on the back porch and watched her walk in the house and shut the door before Norman and I headed back to my house.