An Aftermath of a Fight

NORMAN POV, 7:45 AM

It's been a week since homecoming, and things between me and Ray are... cool? We haven't gone on that date yet, though.

I walked into the school as usual and saw a crowd of people huddled around something. I walked around to the other side, where there appeared to be less people, and cut through.

When I got a good view of what they were huddling around, I tried not to gasp. Ray was on the ground with Emma on top of him. They were fighting. Ray's nose and lip was bleeding, and you could see that Emma had scratched his arms and gotten a good amount of his injuries from his dad, because a lot of the skid marks were bleeding, and the scratches.

Emma had a bloody nose and she looked pretty much the same as Ray did except he was digging his nails into her skin, and you could tell he'd done it before.

Immediately, I stepped ran toward the two and separated them from each other. "What the hell, you two?! Emma, you can lose your spot in student council for this!" I said.

"He started this shit! It's not my fault!" Emma said angrily. Ray glared at her.

"Don't play that, Emma. You're not in first grade. And it kind of is your fault for participating in this," I said. I turned and looked at Ray. "And you, how did this happen?"

"This whore was saying stupid shit about my scars and everything and then she started telling me I look like a girl, so I attacked her. I don't give a fuck if it's bad rep to hit a girl, you don't say shit like that without a consequence," he explained, still staring angrily at Emma.

"Yeah, well I don't see how me telling you that you look like a girl is a reason to lunge at me," Emma said. Ray was getting angrier by the second.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe because I'm fucking tr-" he stopped himself. He was on the verge of tears. "You know what, nevermind. Fuck you," he stood up and walked off, angrily shoving somebody standing by the lockers so he could get through.

I walked Emma to the nurse and went to find Ray. First, I went to the library. I looked everywhere in that room for him, but couldn't find him.

Then, I got another idea of where he might be. I ran to the detention room, which was usually empty in the mornings. I opened the door and looked around.

There he was, sitting in the corner with his knees pulled up to his face and his arms resting up on them, his face buried in his forearms. I quietly closed the door. I walked over to him and carefully sat down next to him.

I wrapped my arm around Ray and pulled him closer. He looked up and turned his head to look at me. Tear stains went down his face. "I know she doesn't know, but it still hurts. It just gets me sometimes, and then I kind of blank out and can't control what I'm doing."

"It's okay, Ray. Come on, we'll go to the bathroom and get you cleaned up," I said. He cleared his throat and wiped the blood from his nose on his shirt collar.

"That's gonna stain," I said. He shrugged, I smiled. We stood up and left the room. We walked to the bathroom and Ray sat on one of the sinks. He grabbed a couple paper towels and wet them in the sink next to the one he was on, but I snatched them from his hand and he looked at me weird.

"Let me do it," I said. He chuckled. I started dabbing at his face, which was covered in blood, sweat, and tear stains.

He looked me in the eyes the whole time I was wiping off his face. "I'm surprised you didn't stay with her," he said. I looked at him.

"Are you really though?" I said as he got off of the sink. I grabbed his wrists before he could walk away. "We're not done yet, Ray. Arms," I said. I wet a couple more paper towels after I threw the other ones away. I cleaned up the blood that was still dripping down Ray's arms.

"Jeez, she got you good. For it to bleed that much, it must've been really deep." When I was done, I leaned slightly down and pecked Ray's cheek. He stood there flustered for a minute. I threw away the paper towels and turned back toward him. When I turned all the way back to him, he grabbed my arm and pulled on it, then kissed me. I wrapped my hands around his wrists and pushed him against the wall.

I pulled away. "You wanna play that way, white boy?" Ray said as he held onto my shirt collar. I could tell I was probably as red as a tomato. I was about to say something right when a freshman walked into the bathroom. Ray immediately pushed me away.

We walked to class together. When we walked into the classroom, the people who were there stared at us. I looked at the raven haired boy who was standing next to me. He looked at me. "You're really red," we whispered to each other simultaneously as we walked to our seats. I started fanning my face with my hands when I sat down.

After class, Ray and I met in an empty hallway. "Are you busy tonight? I was thinking we could go out," he tucked his fringe behind his ear, but it quickly fell back into place.

"No, I'm not busy tonight. We can go out," I said. "Also, sorry I couldn't come with you to visit your mom yesterday. My dad had a thing I needed to go to, but how's she doing?" I asked. Ray smiled.

"The doctors said that she's doing great, actually. She might be able to come home next week," he smiled wider with every word that came out of his mouth.

"Oh, Ray! That's amazing! Good for her," I said cheerfully as I picked Ray up and hugged him. He laughed. I was glad to see him so happy.