What Do You Treasure Most?

RAY'S POV, 9:27 P.M.

I kept smiling as a pleasant warmth filled my cheeks. "Hey, is it possible I could maybe... stay here for the night? My dad doesn't really want me home." I said.

Norman looked at me, a look full of sorrow in his eyes. "I'll have to ask my dad, but I'm sure he'd be okay with it." He said, leaning back with his arms behind him to stop himself from lying down. I sighed.

"I mean, you don't have to." I said, "it's fine if you don't want me to. I just-" he interrupted me by putting a finger to my lips. I blushed a bit as I gently grabbed his hand and removed it from my face.

"It's fine, Ray." He said. I held my breath as he got off the bed and grabbed my hand, leading me out of the room and down the stairs. We walked into a room and a man sat at a desk in a chair, his long, blue-green-ish white hair glowing in the dim light of a computer screen in a dark room. Norman let go of my hand and flicked the light switch, making the light go on.

"Yes?" The man said. His voice was deep, and it seemed he was tired because it sounded like he was speaking into a deformed fan with his exhausted voice.

"This is my friend. His name is Ray, and I wanted to ask if it'd be alright if he could stay for the night, father?" Norman bowed as he spoke. The man spun his chair around and looked at me up and down, then made eye contact.

"Ray, huh?" He said, "I guess it'd be okay, Norman. Just don't stay up too late, you have school in the morning." Norman looked at me as he straightened himself out and smiled, then the smile faded and a concerned look appeared on his face.

"Thank you, dad- I mean- father!" Norman exclaimed as he dragged me out of the room. "Breathe, Ray!" He cupped my face as I realized I hadn't been breathing.

I let out a long and loud breath of air and coughed. "Sorry," I said. He gave a worried but relieved smile in return.

"It's fine, just- come on, let's go!" He yelled as he grabbed my hand once again and we started running up the stairs like we were in some weird coming of age TV show. I couldn't help but laugh at the thought.

We ran into his bedroom and he shut the door as I immediately went to the bookcase. He giggled. "Do you like to read?" He asked. I nodded as I grabbed a novel I've been saving up the money for.

"Like it? I kind of live for it. I've spent like seventy-five percent of my life at the library since I was six years old. Reading was and still is the only thing I like about school, from history to Shakespeare's nonsense." I said, "reading is like the only thing I enjoy about life." I opened the novel to the first page.

"Jeez, you could write an entire fifteen page essay on how much reading means to you." He replied. I smiled and closed the book, realizing I wouldn't get the chance to focus hard enough to read during the night. I put the book back on the shelf and walked closer to Norman.

"Well, then, what do you treasure most in your life?" I asked, lifting his chin at the right angle so that he had no choice but to look me in the eyes. He looked unsure of what I was asking.

When he finally spoke, he didn't back away like I had expected him to. "I- I don't know." He stuttered. I snickered. His pale skin looked like paper, and a deep red tone could be seen on his face.

NORMAN'S POV, 10:58 P.M.

Jesus Christ, he seemed so seductive. Way too seductive for him. I may as well have just melted right then and there.

God, I'm such a homo. We've only spent a day together, get some self control, Norman! I thought. He smiled a mischievous smile and immediately burst into a fit of laughter as he backed away.

Oh. Cute.

Wait- no. Stop it, Norman.