Betrayal

They marched all night, Askeladd not letting anyone get a wink of sleep. Now they were at a bridge, Bjorn leading a sled across, everyone struggling due to the lack of sleep. After everyone crossed, the leader ordered Torgrim and Atli to cut the bridge down. "Bjorn, Thorfinn, Bo. Over here." Askeladd's voice was quiet, like he didn't want anyone else to hear him.

The called party approached. "Closer." He said. Begrudgingly, Bo took another step forward. Askeladd put a hand on Bjorn's shoulder, and walked past them so his back was to the bridge. "You captains the Prince's sled, Bjorn. Thorfinn, Bo, ride with him and be ready." Bo's eyes widened, be ready. They had to be ready to get away, and quickly.

A weird feeling bloomed in Bo's chest, was it because Askeladd trusted him and his brother enough to privately call them to be a part of secret plan? No, Askeladd was making sure Thorfinn was worthy of a duel. That was it.

"What...? No, Askeladd are you certain?" Bjorn asked. "It's my special skill." He said, not looking at his right hand man. "One look is all I need to know a man's true nature. Whether he is great or small, cunning or foolish. I can even detect when traitors lurk in the midst of the faithful." Bo saw from the corner of his eye one man whispering to another, making them both look at their leader.

Bo walked lazily to the sled as to not raise suspicion. He climbed in and offered his brother a hand. As they sat down a box of throwing daggers caught Bo's attention. "Finn." He quietly called out and gestured down to daggers with his eyes.

Thorfinn got the hint and put some beneath his cloak, Bo doing the same. Another thing caught Bo's attention, there was a glint on top of the hill, then more and more appeared. Then suddenly a spear came hurdling toward them and speared four men like a kabob.

The men went into a panic, everyone already giving up and ready to surrender to Thorkell. "Calm yourselves, you fools!" Askeladd said, his face giving away he didn't care much. "They're still in the distance, and the bridge is down. Forget about the damned spear."

Torgrim fired back. "Bridge?! Who cares about the bridge?! They'll walk right through the stream! This entire ruse was pointless!" Askeladd just looked at him. "You think so? Then we'd better stop wasting time and get marching."

Askeladd had a point, the faster they returned the Prince, the faster Thorfinn got his duel. And the faster Bo would stop playing personal protector for Princess.

Torhrim sighed. "Not again. March, march, march! Do you know any other words?!" He took his frustrations out by kicking a tree. The Viking leader just walked to the sled the twins were in. "We cannot best Thorkell. Stay vigilant for one more day. Collapsing the bridge will pay off."

The men didn't look convinced so he continued. "They'll only move as fast as they can move their supplies. The river will slow Thorkell's progress. Even if they leave their provisions behind to continue their pursuit, they'll only last a day at most without food. Is that clear? Now march." The men just kept their glares. "There's no guarantee that we'll survive a day." Torgrim countered.

Askeladd spun around and walked away. "I see. Then this is where we part ways. I won't waste time trying to convince you." But before he could take another step, men with axes and swords surrounded him, along with the sled. "Don't get cute with me, you thugs." Askeladd's voice became cold. "If you want to leave, stay here and wash your asses in the river. Present yourselves to Thorkell and be done with."

Atli and Torgrim stood, backs straight, and took charge. "The only arse that monster wants is the Prince's. Look, Askeladd, we've been together a long time. I don't want to see you killed. Leave the Prince and be on your way." Nobody moved for a beat. Bo was on edge, waiting for Askeladd to give the signal.