Ragnarok

Bo and Thorfinn ran through the field, joking, laughing, playing. Like the good times. Finally the boys saw their father tending to sheep. They ran up to him, still smiling from ear to ear. Thors picked up Thorfinn and Bo, putting them on his shoulders.

"We're having meat tonight!" Bo cheered, as Thors continued his work. "To celebrate Yule." Thorfinn added with a smile. Thors chuckled, "Ahh, it's nearly Yule, is it? It's still so warm, I had forgotten." Thors sounded so happy, Bo hadn't heard that in such a long time.

"This is a good place to live. Plenty of grazing land. Moving here was the right choice." Thors was beaming. "Ylva says it's a pain because we can't get any slaves here. But we've never had slaves before!" Thorfinn in just as cheery of a tone as his father. Thors laughed. "That sounds like our Ylva."

They all continued to walk towards the house. "I like it here. And mother's been feeling much better since we came." Bo,for the first time in ages, smiled too. "Bo." His father suddenly got serious. "What?" Bo felt nervousness start to creep up his stomach, the fear of his father being angry with him returning.

"You're my eldest son. You have to protect your brother, your sister, and your mother, understand." Thors told him, voice empty and numb.

"Yes." Bo started to feel the mood darken. The sky seemed to darken too. "Your mother and sister are waiting for you both to come home. It's a wonderful thing to have someone waiting for you. Do you understand?" Bo looked down, guilt throbbing painfully in his chest, "Yes..."

"What I mean is, give up on this revenge nonsense. Do you really think it would make me happy?" Thors words hurt somewhere deep inside that Bo didn't know could hurt.

Bo looked over the cliff side to oversee their village. Bo eyes widened with horror, multiple ships lined the shore, houses burning. Men, women, and children getting slaughtered. Men with swords killing and destroying everything in their path.

Bo hopped off his fathers shoulders and ran to the cliff side,"The village! Father were under attack!" Bo looked back to see his father motionless. "Mother! Ylfa!" Bo screamed.

Bo looked back at his father and brother, they both gave him the same look. The look that said. 'Go home. This revenge isn't worth it. You have a family waiting for you. Give this life up.' The look broke Bo's heart.

When Bo looked back at the village only to see a group of archers pointing at Bo, they let the arrows fly. Bo ducked, the arrows flew right over him and right into his fathers body. His body looking like a pin cushion. His brother seemed to disappear.

"Father!" Bo let out a guttural scream. The pain of losing his father felt like a spear to the chest. 'Why this again? Wasn't watching it the first time enough?'

Bo woke with jolt, panting as if he had just run through a battle field. Bo looked to the side seeing his brother still sleeping, not so peacefully, but sleeping nonetheless.

Bo silently watched four men drag a woman screaming in a foreign language he couldn't identify. Thorfinn woke the same way Bo did, Thorfinn grabbed his head and looked over to the screaming woman.

One of the men looked up, "Oh. So that's where you went, Bo, Thorfinn." He asked. "Why not join in for once? After we're done, of course." Bo looked down on these men, they were all just disgusting pigs.

Bo and Thorfinn just scoffed, walking away. They didn't have the energy to try and help the woman, there was no saving her anyway. When these men wanted something they always got it, regardless of the obstacles in their path. Bo just wanted to get one good nights sleep, he didn't think it was to much too ask for.