10: Gloves

"Why you looking so crazy?
Why you looking so lonely for love?"
-Supergrass-

I returned to the fair, stopping at one of the food stalls. I went to grab one of the fruits but stopped. My gloves.

I checked my pockets. Shit. Baghra wouldn't have...? Oh, there was no point in lying to myself- she definitely took them.

I snatched the fruit quickly, tossing a few coins to the tender.

I sat on the grass, eating the fruit nervously.

"What are you wearing?"

I turned to see Kaz standing above me.

"I... thought I'd blend in with the Grisha." I said. Pausing, I glanced at my hands. "Do you have a spare pair of gloves? I, uh, lost mine..." I stood, tucking my hands underneath my arms.

"I don't. But maybe one of these stalls will have some?" Kaz suggested.

I followed him through the throng, nervous each time someone brushed past me.

Kaz stopped at one of the stalls. "Why do you wear your gloves..." he asked unsurely.

I froze. I couldn't just tell him. "Would you tell me why you wear yours?"

He paused, sighing. "You've got me."

He handed me a new pair of gloves subtly.

"Oh, are we not paying," I muttered with a faint smile, slipping them on.

Kaz smirked, leading us away. "No,"

"Thank you, Kaz." I said, glancing at him.

"The Kefta looks good on you," he remarked, so quickly I almost didn't hear it.

My cheeks tinted. "Oh," was all I could say.

There was a long silence between us.

"I wear the gloves because I can't bear the touch of flesh against my own..." Kaz said suddenly, quietly. "Because of something that happened to me when I was younger."

Crash. The realisation hit me like a wall. Kaz Brekker. Kaz Rietvald. Pekka Rollins. Rey had uttered a story about two brothers and a scam pulled by her former employer, Rollins. I remembered the whispers of their fate...

I took his gloved hand gently. "Kaz..." I looked up and met his gaze. "We're more alike thank you think,"

I lost my brother. He lost his. We wear gloves because of that loss.

But I had my bittersweet revenge, he did not.

I became aware of our proximity. What was this feeling?

"Ada," Kaz began, he furrowed his brow. "Adelaide. How do you know anything about me?"

The Mortality. I could tell him. I should tell him.

"My business in Ketterdam permits that I know things..." I said nervously. "One of my associates told me about two brothers; the Rietvalds."

Kaz flinched. "Adelaide..."

"I'm sorry, Kaz, I'm so sorry, and, I promise I won't tell anyone," I replied quietly.

Kaz leaned in to my face, attempting to be stern. "If you do," his expression broke, skin tinting pink. He crossed his arms. "Just... yeah... don't tell anyone."

"I lost my brother too..." I consoled.

Kaz looked up. "Can I ...hug you?" he asked hesitantly.

My eyes widened, but I nodded.

Kaz slowly, timidly put his arms around my waist.

I put my arms around his neck. Suddenly, he pulled my body flush against his, burying his head in my shoulder.

Sparks prickled across my body. I relished the moment.

I was beginning to understand this new feeling... it was scary, fresh and exciting.

I had been lost.

He had been lost.

But then we found each other.