7: Confusion

"Are you happy, are you satisfied?
How long can you stand the heat?"
-Queen-

Somehow, the Mortality was in this town too. How, though, I hadn't the faintest clue.

I stopped a passerby. "Sorry to bother you, but are their any... old, abandoned factories around here...?"

Before I could hear the reply, a woman pushed them out of the way, thrusting her hand in my face.

I snatched her wrist in disdain, moving it away. She had the tattoo.

"Mortality, immorality, and~"

"Shut up." I cut her off. I pulled her into a side alley, leaning in close. "Tell me where you gather."

The woman grinned. "We're gathering tonight! It would be an honour to have the founder attend."

I could feel my heart thrumming. How? How had the Mortality spread?

Well, obviously someone's been breaking the first rule of the Mortality. I grumbled.

"Sure." Kaz had told me to just stay put at the inn, but was I needed there? No. Probably not.

The woman attempted a hug, but I shoved her away. "Right. Let's go."

"Oh, shit." My mouth fell agape. There was at least two hundred people cramped into the building.

There were folk playing cards, watching animals fight, watching humans fight, dancing, singing... making out... oh, god, not an orgy.

I had discouraged Theo from allowing one in Ketterdam, but the people wanted what the people wanted; so I did all I could to avoid them.

"Would you like to talk to Hanz?" The woman, Sylvia as I had learned, asked.

"Who's Hanz?" I leant against the railing, trying to calm my racing mind.

"Hanz is in charge! He created this branch in your name."

"Fuck..." I was utterly baffled.

Sylvia led me along the landing to a small room decorated with tattered couches and a table; which was missing a leg, instead propped up by a pile of carefully stacked books.

"Hanz, I have Ada Kübrik here." Sylvia announced.

A very tall, slim man appeared, his eyes haunting and hollow. Oh, and his smile. There was too many yellow teeth, which prodded out at every angle.

I tried not to gag as he grabbed my hand with his large one, shaking it brashly.

"Miss Ada Kübrik! It is such an honour to finally meet you," he said, spitting as he did. "Mortality, immorality and ceaseless self!"

The moment he released my hand, I lurched back.

"I'll leave you too to talk," Sylvia said with a nod, filing out of the door.

"Why, how, and what the fuck?" I stared at Hanz, trying to hide the disgust I felt.

He sat on one of the chairs, beckoning me. "Miss Kübrik. Welcome to home away from home! You probably don't remember me, I left the Mortality in Ketterdam six months ago- joined a group across the Fold..."

The dots began to connect. Shit. Hanz. The crummy bastard who would always rant to me like a puppy. One night he had told me about expanding the Mortality, I remembered. I'd brushed it off and forgotten.

But the weirdo actually went and did it.

I sucked on the inside of my cheek, chewing the flesh as I thought.

Hanz stared at me, eagerly awaiting a reply.

I snapped my head up, brows drawn. I stood, slipping my hands in the pockets of my trousers. I looked down on him.

"Well, Hanz, I must apologise, but..." I tilted my head to this side, lips drawing into a line of disgust. "You've broken the four rules of the Mortality, and now, you must face the fifth."

Hanz's face contorted into shock, thick brows raised.

I whipped out Harbinger, pinning Hanz in his chair before he could escape. "What's the motto, Hanz? Let it be your last words," I hissed into his ear, dagger at his throat.

"Mortality, immorality and ceaseless self." He sobbed.

The blade dragged swiftly across his throat. From the fine slit, a trickle of ruby blood drained. Hanz's head lolled back into the seat.

I cleaned Harbinger's blade on his shirt, and dusted myself off.

"Sylvia!" I called.

"Yes, miss Kübrik?" Sylvia rushed in. She froze at the sight.

I turned, smiling at her politely. "You're capable of finding someone to handle this?"

"Oh, saints.Why did you kill Hanz...? Oh, woe..." Sylvia placed a hand over her heart.

I arched my brow. "Will I have to make a sixth rule? Do not question the founder?"

She shook her head as her gaze met the slit in Hanz's neck. "No, miss Kübrik."

"Brilliant. Now, are you 'second in command' here?" I questioned.

Sylvia nodded slowly with a shrug. "I direct affairs... like, what's your friends name? Theodore?"

"Theo." I replied curtly. "And in that case, I hope you will be able to take over this joint? Follow the rules, and assure they are obeyed?"

"Yes, miss Kübrik. As you wish."