chapter 10

The end of June comes quickly. The entire beach is loaded with vacationers and drunken college kids from sun up to sundown which only serves as entertainment for Sam and I. We like to people-watch from the brush on our late nights there, pointing out the drunkest person we can find every single night.

It's suddenly a full year since Mom and I have moved into our new home in Delaware. It's funny to think back about how afraid I was and how miserable I thought I'd be here, and then to find out how wrong I was. It's far from perfect, but I'm willing to accept all of the imperfections for a close to perfect friendship with someone I genuinely care about. I think back to the first time I saw him, messy haired and lonely as he sat with at least five blankets in the bathtub with the blue light of his DVD player illuminating his face. I'll never forget it.

To show my appreciation for Sam, I pool together some money from past babysitting jobs, chores, and birthdays to get him the best present ever.

With my mom's and Mari's assistance, we pick out a vintage Polaroid camera— a 600 SuperColor— that Sam has been wanting for some time. We ended up finding it through a thrift store owner that knows Mari, who had told him some time ago that her son was interested in it. He gave her a call and I overheard her telling my mom about it, and I decided it would be the best idea. We ended up finding a local store that sells film for it and everything. It was absolutely perfect.

It's the biggest gift I've ever given anyone before, which worries me that it might be too forward. I worry it'll be a glaring sign of my deeper feelings, but at the same time I don't care. I get it for him because he makes me happy, and I want to do the same for him.

In the days leading up to the one year mark, Sam tells me to email him a list of my favorite Friends episodes from each season. He compiles his, and he makes plans for us to watch them together to commemorate our friendship. It's the perfect opportunity for me to give him his gift, which I excitedly do the second I make it to the guest bath.

He's plugging his portable DVD player charger into the wall when I make it to the guest bath, leaning against the door frame with his gift behind my back. I stay quiet until he eventually turns around to see me, offering a kind smile.

"Okay, I have everything ready. I have your list, my list, chocolate chip Pop Tarts, some Dr. Pepper, and because tonight is extra special—" he pauses before reaching behind the two propped up pillows in the bath. "I stole Stella's flask."

"Nice!" I can't hide the grin on my face. "What's in it?"

He shrugs. "I don't know. Who cares?"

I nod in approval, watching his face shift when he notices I'm still standing in the doorway with my hands behind my back. Suspicion takes over right away. He knows me too well.

"What are you doing?" He furrows his eyebrows and laughs softly.

I look to the ceiling innocently. "Nothing."

I cross my bare leg over the other, my skin feeling warm from the subtle burn. The cotton shorts I wear are soft against my thighs, but tonight I've rolled up the waistband similarly to how I saw Holly wear hers once to make them a little shorter. I'm hopeful it'll catch Sam's attention.

"It doesn't look like nothing," he says slowly, crossing his arms over his stomach. His eyes fall down my legs. Bingo. "Just tell me."

"Well," I start, dragging out the word while looking down at my feet that are covered by slouchy gray socks. "I just wanted to tell you that I appreciate you. A lot. You've been a better friend to me than anyone ever has, and I don't know if I could ever repay you. Really."