Chapter 36: Titans

Start from the beginning

"Scatter!" Clover shouted, and the three separated, Clover and Maria jumping to the left while Saphron jumped to the right. The Grimm fired, and a brilliant beam of searing energy split the street in half.

A second passed... then two... and the entire street erupted in a massive explosion, ripping the pack of Grimm to shreds as the shockwave sent Clover, Maria, and Saphron flying in different directions.

It... it took out its own kind just to get at us, Saphron thought faintly... and that's when she hit the wall. Her Aura, having taken the brunt of the shockwave, shattered as her right leg snapped. She cried out, and the Alpha Leviathan's gaze fell upon her.

"Hey, over here!" Clover shouted, using his weapon to fling a chunk of asphalt at the Leviathan's head... only for it to splinter harmlessly against its hide.

The Leviathan growled, and several shadows flitted overhead seconds before a trio of Sphinxes dove toward Maria and Clover, forcing them to back up as the ground before them was strafed in fire.

With the Atlesian Specialist and veteran Huntress occupied, the Alpha Leviathan turned its full attention back to Saphron. It raised its arm, wicked talons flashing in the sunlight... and Saphron knew she wouldn't be able to escape. I don't have a chance... but I won't go down. Not like this. Plunging her blade into the street, Saphron pushed herself up and glared at the Alpha Leviathan, ignoring the pain lancing through her leg.

"Saphron!" Clover and Maria shouted, and time seemed to slow.

The Alpha Leviathan brought its arm down, massive talons ready to crush Saphron into a bloody paste... and that's when a blur of silver streaked across the sky.

With Sincline, One Minute Earlier

That thing's power... it's like it just keeps getting stronger, Sincline thought, wincing as he tried to push himself up... only for the fallen watchtower to crumble even further, pressing him down. What the—oh, right. Tower.

Drawing on his core, Sincline warped, and the tower's remains, which had been propped up by Sincline's body, collapsed even further. Exiting a rift above the fallen tower, Sincline rolled his shoulder with a sharp crack of grating metal. That Leviathan... it's stronger, faster, and smarter than I thought, he mused, landing on top of what remained of the wall and running a quick diagnostic. No broken bones or damage to my armor. Where—?

His comm crackled, and a signal, which previously had been blocked due to the miniature mountain he had been buried under, came through.

"—you hear me? Sincline!" It was the General.

"Ironwood?"

"Sincline, listen to me!" the General said urgently. "The Leviathan has made landfall and is currently attacking the Northern border. Our forces are doing everything they can to hold it off, but—"

Sincline froze. "Where did you say—?"

A scream cut through the air, and he whipped toward the city, his glowing eyes narrowing as he scanned for the source. There! The Alpha Leviathan was easy enough to find, but the one who screamed... Saphron!

There wasn't any time to think. Quick as light, Sincline's thrusters flared, and he shot forward, energy trailing behind him as he streaked toward the Alpha Leviathan. I can knock it away, but that's not going to be enough, he thought, time seeming to slow as he neared the enormous Grimm. And even if I do, there are still people evacuating behind it; they probably thought it was safe since the Grimm was focused on something else.